Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
I would appreciate some input please. We are planning to retire and go to full time RV after the first of the year. I’m trying to decide between a Class A or a truck and 5th wheel. We should be able to pay for the RV but will be living on my Social Security. My thoughts are that wouldn’t the maintenance on a Class A be more costly than on a truck and 5th wheel. Plus with a Class A a “toad” would be required. Also, what about insurance on a truck and 5th wheel vs a Class A

Insurance on my Montana was $1200 a year for $70,000. Insurance on my Monaco Camelot is $1550 a year for $125,000.
We sold the dually and are pulling a silverado, insurance is cheaper on the silverado but it isn't as new as the dually was. We have to have a vehicle anyways so I don't know if it matters. I loved the dually but I'm looking forward to using the silverado with all it's space in the bed since no need for aux. fuel tank and fifth wheel hitch. And easier to park.

Maintenance isn't cheap on diesel one ton dually's either.

We have been FT in a class A (DP pulling a 24' enclosed trailer) and now in a 44' fiver. As a full timer there are differences IMHO.

First of all the maintenance costs between a class A diesel pusher and a class A gasser are different. Most class A gas coaches are on a regular spring suspension with simple components plus the engine is simple for almost anyone to service, even simple for most to service themselves. On the other hand modern diesel engines are not easily serviced and your annual maintenance will run between $800 and $1,500 per year. This isn't counting averaging in for battery replacement and tire replacement every 6 or 7 years.

Insurance costs were about the same for us. With the DP we also hauled around a car and motorcycle. With the fiver (toy hauler) we have to insure it plus the F350 and motorcycle. The biggest difference, especially in 2021, is the fact that we are getting over 40% better fuel diesel fuel economy pulling the fiver as compared to what we were getting driving the DP. That adds up in a 12 month period.

Next thing to consider is breakdowns on the road. As a full timer you can't simply have your RV towed somewhere and then go home to wait for it to be repaired. Your RV is your home and it contains all of your possessions. If you are in a large class A and have a flat tire for example chances are you will be waiting on the side of the road for hours until a service truck can get to you and change it. If you are pulling a fiver then in most cases you can change it out yourself. If you experience a mechanical breakdown and have to be towed your class A sits in the shop while you sit in a motel with a rental car. if you are in a fiver then at least you can have your "home" towed to a campground while you are waiting for the repairs on your truck.

As far as the actual traveling during the day, we like the fiver just as much as the class A's we have owned. The DW can't get up and move around while we are going down the road, but we the mega cab F350 we have about everything within reach right in the back seat anyway. We always stop about every 90 minutes no matter what we are driving so that didn't change.

Insurance on my Montana was $1200 a year for $70,000. Insurance on my Monaco Camelot is $1550 a year for $125,000.
We sold the dually and are pulling a silverado, insurance is cheaper on the silverado but it isn't as new as the dually was. We have to have a vehicle anyways so I don't know if it matters. I loved the dually but I'm looking forward to using the silverado with all it's space in the bed since no need for aux. fuel tank and fifth wheel hitch. And easier to park.

Maintenance isn't cheap on diesel one ton dually's either.
Thanks for the numbers. Great help

We have been FT in a class A (DP pulling a 24' enclosed trailer) and now in a 44' fiver. As a full timer there are differences IMHO.

First of all the maintenance costs between a class A diesel pusher and a class A gasser are different. Most class A gas coaches are on a regular spring suspension with simple components plus the engine is simple for almost anyone to service, even simple for most to service themselves. On the other hand modern diesel engines are not easily serviced and your annual maintenance will run between $800 and $1,500 per year. This isn't counting averaging in for battery replacement and tire replacement every 6 or 7 years.

Insurance costs were about the same for us. With the DP we also hauled around a car and motorcycle. With the fiver (toy hauler) we have to insure it plus the F350 and motorcycle. The biggest difference, especially in 2021, is the fact that we are getting over 40% better fuel diesel fuel economy pulling the fiver as compared to what we were getting driving the DP. That adds up in a 12 month period.

Next thing to consider is breakdowns on the road. As a full timer you can't simply have your RV towed somewhere and then go home to wait for it to be repaired. Your RV is your home and it contains all of your possessions. If you are in a large class A and have a flat tire for example chances are you will be waiting on the side of the road for hours until a service truck can get to you and change it. If you are pulling a fiver then in most cases you can change it out yourself. If you experience a mechanical breakdown and have to be towed your class A sits in the shop while you sit in a motel with a rental car. if you are in a fiver then at least you can have your "home" towed to a campground while you are waiting for the repairs on your truck.

As far as the actual traveling during the day, we like the fiver just as much as the class A's we have owned. The DW can't get up and move around while we are going down the road, but we the mega cab F350 we have about everything within reach right in the back seat anyway. We always stop about every 90 minutes no matter what we are driving so that didn't change.
Wow. Really good information. Thanks for the details. Gives me a lot to sort out. I’ve been leaning to a 5th but want to at least consider a Class A.

We had one breakdown on the road that required (diesel) engine service (and I think it could've been preventable with what we know now.) However the shop where we had it serviced offered to let us stay in our motorhome during the night.

I would appreciate some input please. We are planning to retire and go to full time RV after the first of the year. I’m trying to decide between a Class A or a truck and 5th wheel. We should be able to pay for the RV but will be living on my Social Security. My thoughts are that wouldn’t the maintenance on a Class A be more costly than on a truck and 5th wheel. Plus with a Class A a “toad” would be required. Also, what about insurance on a truck and 5th wheel vs a Class A
If you're going to be moving a lot, we think a motorhome is more comfortable. If you think you'll stay in one place for a week or more, pull-RVs might be better. We are oriented toward going many places, not staying for weeks, And we really like riding up high in our DP and being able to move about without going outside. We have been caught in cattle drives, sheep herding, and Houston Freeway traffic jams (all about 30 min each).... and rain when we stop for lunch, not even getting out.... we love the motorhome. I don't find trucks to be comfortable. But I can understand why people like fifth wheels they are definitely very homelike. I think it's because my mentality is go go go - love the open road!

Thanks this helps.

Just another comparison note from our experience. When we are out on travel days we generally stop for lunch in either a rest area or truck stop.

With our DP we were of course always towing something, either a long enclosed trailer of extended dolly. While it was true we could stay inside the coach if it was raining to eat our lunch, it was also true that there were very little truck stops that we could use as a lunch stop due to not being able to back into spaces. Therefore we were limited to lunch stops at mainly rest areas.

With our fivers we can still stay inside our vehicle to eat lunch. Our F350 has the mega cab and with the seats folded up there is a ton of space back there. We haul a cooler and lunch bag with us on travel days. Another advantage I'm liking again is the ability to back into spaces at truck stops for a lunch break if I need to.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both fivers and Class A's. Our average travel miles are between 6,000 and 8,000 per year so we move around and visit about a dozen states each year.

I am interested in this info as well. Thanks for asking! 😊

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back