Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Suburbazine

RVF Regular
So I took the opportunity to relieve a junkyard of one of the rare, impossible to acquire KIB interfaces that might actually demystify their system functions a bit. It does not disappoint! Far from being the mysterious black box that KIB would prefer everyone believe it to be, it has some rather humble and wonderfully accessible internals:
20230308_150517.jpg

It's a fun little Raspberry Pi 3 running bone-stock Raspbian Lite!

KIB has a nicely designed daughter board for V-bus and power conversion. It also has CANbus connections but I'm not sure on the capabilities yet:
20230308_154819.jpg20230308_154232.jpg

Due to the wonderful engineers at KIB who secretly support open systems, I obtained root access with extreme ease! What's more, it natively gives me a realtime log of ANY V-bus activity (and internal server logging) along with clearly described addressing:
20230308_234659.jpg

More to come as I figure out how to start bending the Heartland addressing to line up with Newmar's stuff and eventually figure out how to redesign the web UI for remote control. Looks like they wrote it all in Visual Studio. First step will be to entirely liberate the unit from needing to interface with KIB for remote control. Depending on how obfuscated things are this might be an impossible or very complicated task though.

20230308_234956.jpg

Staying tuned…this is way above my skill level but interesting anyway

Things learned in first 30 minutes:

HVAC control schema is universal, fully works for Newmar
Some lighting commands are universal (global on/off)
Tank levels are universal (missing pump control)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309_020318_Connected Solutions.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_020318_Connected Solutions.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230309_020334_Connected Solutions.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_020334_Connected Solutions.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 9
most interested :)

I too am VERY interested!

I am very glad Suburbazine has taken this on as I am not a programmer but would love to have a way to control my KIB system from my android phone!!!!!

Following

Lost af.

Due to the wonderful engineers at KIB who secretly support open systems,

Is this another way of saying...

Due to the unethical engineers at KIB who leak their employers proprietary information...?

Is this another way of saying...

Due to the unethical engineers at KIB who leak their employers proprietary information...?
No, it's because KIB is so proprietary there's nobody to go "hey, that looks like an insecure way of doing things." This is almost certainly part of why they made this module so impossibly hard to acquire if you weren't a Heartland owner.

At least their Azure implementation doesn't seem to have any glaring holes so far.

Latest resources

Back