Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Starlink v3 reports? Comparison to v2?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
It's probably impossible to compare the new v3 dish to the prior as you'd have to use both at near the same time to compare performance, so maybe just getting feedback on how v3 is working for people is in order.

For those that upgraded to the new v3, what are your observations?

We got our system in December, so no experience with v2. We have been pleased with the performance so far

I still want to hold out for a more RV friendly Starlink but before my next big trip I may pull the trigger and get a v3 since I have a broken v2, works, but is awaiting replacement.

Good video below. Two Three items of note:

1) Router is now Wi-Fi 6, this is a big improvement and worthy of an upgrade such as those using the mesh features like @ehochuli85

2) It uses more power than the prior gen which was already power hungry. So for boondockers, van lifer's, etc. this is going to eat more battery and as the video suggests, consider only turning on Starlink when you use Internet to conserve battery instead of always on, like umm, what I do.

Edit: 3) Built in ethernet ports are nice, no more dongle required! Much easier to hook up to your preferred system such as Pepwave, etc.

I still hope someday for a RV friendly Starlink but we are probably such a small user base for Starlink serving Earth that I am not optimistic but time will tell (yeah, talking self into order the new SL).

Nice find. The question will be how it compares to the larger antenna.

So, I have not gotten on the Starlink wagon just yet but have a question, well one for now. Why would you need a router? Doesn't Starlink come with a wireless router built-in?

So, I have not gotten on the Starlink wagon just yet but have a question, well one for now. Why would you need a router? Doesn't Starlink come with a wireless router built-in?
It’s a puzzle you’ll have to figure out as the dish connects to the router with a wire. I run the wire to the router in my basement and connect it to my pepwave using an Ethernet cable I ran from half bath to basement. Short answer is no, you don’t need a separate router and this gen 3 one is very good. Just depends on your setup.

Latest resources

Back