Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Why is the water spigot at dump stations non-potable?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
A question we probably don't want to know...but if it's because people are doing sewer hose rinses, etc. yet people do the same thing at full hookup sites, wouldn't that make the water spigots at full hookup sites non-potable too?

You're welcome.

Dump station water spigots are used for everything imaginable, and some unimaginable. Often in rapid succession.

CG water spigots have the luxury of a two-hour or so gap between check out and check in. That two hours affords the spigots the ability to forget how they were used. Therefore, clean slate.

I treat all water spigots at a campground as non-potable.

I carry a spray bottle of 50/50 bleach and water and spray the campsite spigot at least 10 minutes before hooking up. I flush the spigot until it runs clear then hook the potable hose and flush again until cold. Then hook up to my RV. I don't flush sewer hoses at the campsite.

The non-potable at the dump stations are used occasionally and treat them as dirty and use disposable gloves.

I always make sure my gray tank is pretty full and use it to rinse after dumping black water.
Same, I've never used spigot to flush, I also spray with bleach solution like @jaydee325

Dump station water spigots are used for everything imaginable, and some unimaginable. Often in rapid succession.

CG water spigots have the luxury of a two-hour or so gap between check out and check in. That two hours affords the spigots the ability to forget how they were used. Therefore, clean slate.

Five second rule?

The rules are any spigot closer than 20 ft (this distance is subject to memory issues) to a pump out or dump station is supposed to be labeled non-potable. Same water source, same stupid people!!!

Agree with the consensus - it’s not the water that’s non-potable, it’s the proximity of the hose to all the nasty stuff being dumped and subject to the bad habits of those dumping. I’ve never been tempted to get water from a hose bib near a dump station and I run water and wipe down the hose bib with a disinfectant wipe before hooking up in a camp ground. You just never know what happened before you got there. I also don’t use a hose to rinse my sewer hose. I like a good full grey tank to flush it and if the tank isn’t full enough I’ll run some laundry and take a shower to make sure there is a lot of nice soapy water to flush the hose after dumping the black tank. Then the sewer hose goes in the bin without rinsing and I don’t worry about it.

it’s the proximity of the hose to all the nasty stuff being dumped
What is the distance from the dump port and your spigot at your campsite? Is there code that mandates this distance?

Latest resources

Back