Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert WiFi LAN & WAN Channel Collision!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I can get you my settings next week but from what I remember here is what I suggest:
  1. Set your preferred to 5 ghz. 2.4 is more susceptible to interference and 5 ghz should be used when you can
  2. Channel width it looks like you changed? If there is an auto I would use that
  3. That's a whole lot of channel updating but I don't think it's a problem. Default was just at 3 AM
  4. I would set 5 ghz output power to high

DANG, and I can't even get my "Wi-Fi" Ranger to work!o_O:D
Can get my "hot-spot" to work, & "hot-spot" my phone!
WOW, I thought I was doing good!:ROFLMAO:
Thanks for interesting reading that "I do not understand"!
You guys are "technology wizards" ? :geek:and I'm impressed!(y)?

I can get you my settings next week but from what I remember here is what I suggest:
  1. Set your preferred to 5 ghz. 2.4 is more susceptible to interference and 5 ghz should be used when you can
  2. Channel width it looks like you changed? If there is an auto I would use that
  3. That's a whole lot of channel updating but I don't think it's a problem. Default was just at 3 AM
  4. I would set 5 ghz output power to high
Sharp as usual, buddy! You picked up on the settings I had changed recently. BTW, I’ve still referenced your/our old thread on Configurations; hence me messing with the channel width. I did, however, read an article last night that talked about optimizing network settings. Granted, I think it came from Intel. lol. They suggested certain channels for 2.4.
As for the power output…dang…I figured that the fact I can reach my coach from down the street was reason to lower the power output. I was also hoping it would make the Pepwave run a bit cooler…that didn’t work, btw.

I’m gonna update some settings like you suggest now. If I go dark for a while…you can assume why. ?

Last edited:
Captain.....Sorry to dig up an old thread, I am scraping some of these to see if I can fix an issue I am having. I am getting intermittent drops in my pepwave WiFi in the coach, and had the external WiFi pulling in solid signals. Since turning off the outside sources, it seems to be more stable (more time needed). My thought though is that in auto mode, the device should be selecting channels to allow WiFi in and out if that is a "feature" of the device. Are you saying regardless of channel, there is a collision of in and out on the WiFi on matching bands?? Is your experience that this is still an issue, or do you think future firmware will "restore" the ability to use external WiFi sources. TIA for taking the time to pick your brain a little.

Captain.....Sorry to dig up an old thread, I am scraping some of these to see if I can fix an issue I am having. I am getting intermittent drops in my pepwave WiFi in the coach, and had the external WiFi pulling in solid signals. Since turning off the outside sources, it seems to be more stable (more time needed). My thought though is that in auto mode, the device should be selecting channels to allow WiFi in and out if that is a "feature" of the device. Are you saying regardless of channel, there is a collision of in and out on the WiFi on matching bands?? Is your experience that this is still an issue, or do you think future firmware will "restore" the ability to use external WiFi sources. TIA for taking the time to pick your brain a little.
This is a hard subject to articulate via a forum reply. In a nutshell, though, the way PepWave handle channel management, wifi radios, and actual board design is inferior to Cradlepoint's 1700, which uses 3 independent radios.

PepWave doesn't handle broadcasting an AP on both 2.4 and 5 simultaneously gracefully. I didn't run intensive tests to fully proof out bands, channels, etc. I did, however, find that you're asking for trouble if you do this practice; something I felt is a real shortcoming.

Rather than continue the battle, we switched to the CP IBR1700 which handles our development, configurations, and testings with ease.

Hope that helps.

👍

I suggest posting a screenshot of your AP Settings page in the Pepwave config.

Hi Neal, basically I was dealing with two issues, what Captain mentioned in post 10 was giving me repeating connect/disconnect of the clients in the event log. That stopped when I brought WiFi in on one band (2.4) and out on the other (5). The other problem was the wan port on my max transit duo is not capable of negotiating speed with Starlink adapter. It is a known issue with pepwave and involves a very old driver/firmware being used in the production of the unit. There is no fix except to put a switch inline from the Starlink to the pepwave. The symptom that pointed to this issues was a 50+ percent packet drop occurring on the wan. Things appear to be stable now.

Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure you weren't doing hourly channel updates like the attachment in post 10 which I don't feel is a good idea as those updates can be disruptive.

I am using a managed (fanless) switch in my setup to bring in Pepwave 2 to Pepwave 1 after some troubleshooting with Peplink on my ethernet situation. It didn't make a difference but I'm glad the switch is there when I bring Starlink into play. Wasn't aware of the issue.

Latest resources

Back