catfishhoward

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Legacy Edition
RV Length
I'm looking at buying a piece of property to put 10 RV sites on in Florida but there is no internet in the area where the land is and the only cell phone that works is Verizon. Is having no wifi a deal breaker for most full time or snow bird RV'ers or do most people have a mobile hot spot anyway? North of Destin there's not much cell service so many have Verizon, what is the most common cell provider for most full time RV's?

The land is on an old pecan plantation and I plan on planting some fruit trees like fig and avocado around the property, pretty much just trying to make it a nice quiet RV park with about 70' from each other for privacy.

Attachments

• rv site.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
No. Most RVers don’t expect campground WiFi to be a usable feature. If you can get it and offer sufficient speeds it’s a bonus otherwise the destination is more important.

No. Most RVers don’t expect campground WiFi to be a usable feature. If you can get it and offer sufficient speeds it’s a bonus otherwise the destination is more important.
Thanks, I been at a RV park for 5 months looking for land, they have wifi but the 1 week I was pull the little hair I had left out fighting with the speed so I just ended up getting a hotspot. I fiqured most park are slow with the large number of site and most people have hotspot anyway, but I don't know.

Maybe it would be better to look into a tv service for each site since that streaming tv is what runs up hotspot data?

It would be a deal-breaker for me. I want, at least, e-mail capability and cell phone service. You have to have cell service in order to have a "hotspot" AFAIK. Maybe the technical wizards don't, but I'm not in that category.

TJ

It would be a deal-breaker for me. I want, at least, e-mail capability and cell phone service. You have to have cell service in order to have a "hotspot" AFAIK. Maybe the technical wizards don't, but I'm not in that category.

TJ
Thanks, I wish it had AT&T also but it's hard to pass up such a nice property, with all the renters in the panhandle I'm thinking 10 spots shouldn't be hard to rent all year? But they would have to have Verizon.

I found out today I can have DirecTV on each lot for $10 a month that way campers don't feel that they have to have a hotspot for TV services. The cell service is good enough to check emails, make calls or even surf the web on their phone it's just not the fastest or most reliable. I also figured most full-time RVers or snowbirds more than likely have cell phone boosters which should increase the service even more.

What is it they say "location, location, location", So that said if I am expected to pay a bunch, I expect a bunch, not a compromise. In my book DTV is a compromise.

If cell service is weak because it has to many customers in an area, if cable is not an option so that you can offer high speed wifi. If you want to make good money, because you can charge for something other than a compromise. Your location better have something really good to offer. Most of the time I boondock because the big draw is in the mind of the owner of the park and not real.

This is only to help you make a informed choice, and is not intended as a stab in your plan.

Your location better have something really good to offer.
I am also opening up a small RV park. Mine will only have 8 pads so obviously I'm not looking to get rich on this thing. And one of the realities of owning a "small" RV park is you have to pick your clientele and cater to that group. It's just not monetarily feasible to provide all the amenities that the larger parks offer.

I'm out in the woods so to speak, and there is -0- cell service and -0- Internet. The only TV we can get out here is Dish or Direct TV. So on the surface it may look like we will have -0- clients as well. But what we have found is the 55+ group with higher end MH's, seems to like the idea just fine.

They already have satellites on their rigs, so no reason for me to provide it again. And while it's true most of them have said they would like cell service, many have said they can live without it, provided they don't have to go to far to get a signal to check emails. (Note: There is an empty cell tower a mile from us and I am working hard to get one of the carriers to install some equipment. If I am successful, that will cure the cell service issue.) Internet hasn't been that big a deal to many in this group as they are looking for a beautiful place to chill (so to speak) and spend time with family and friends.

And while it may sound like a strange model, we are not looking for RV'ers who want a pool, hot tub, tennis court, etc. If that is what you want, I suggest one of the resorts in Florida. But if you want a secluded and private place with full hookups, your own screened in gazebo, beautiful long range mountain views, hiking trails, wildlife and firefly's at night, then we are that spot.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back