Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Wisconsin to New York via CANADA?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Fear of the unknown....how hard is it really get into Canada, travel through Canada, and with a dog at that? No firearms, probably leave them home this trip. Just no clue on what I'd be in for to travel this route and break this barrier known as traveling around Canada and seeing the beauty it has to offer. My goal is probably end up in Bar Harbor Maine but I don't know how much time I have before I have to be back home for an obligation. So may just swing up north out of WI into Canada then come down towards New York. If I had the time it would be cool to see Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec then over to Maine.

WI-CA-NY.jpg

Looks like a nice trip.

Your questions reminds me of how much Canadian transit has changed in a generation. Back in the 1980s I flew my Skylane from CT to Oshkosh and happened to stop for fuel and adjust my Oshkosh arrival slot at a Canadian Airport along the way.
Never gave it a thought of an International Arrival until taxiing to gas pumps and directed to Customs!! It was a quick conversion with a brief summary of my itinerary. He actually providing me with useful information regarding arrival into Oshkosh.

One of those early learning flights, my First IFR cross country trip. Fun times.

Not sure if that exchange would be the same today, arriving unannounced.

Fear of the unknown....how hard is it really get into Canada, travel through Canada, and with a dog at that? No firearms, probably leave them home this trip. Just no clue on what I'd be in for to travel this route and break this barrier known as traveling around Canada and seeing the beauty it has to offer. My goal is probably end up in Bar Harbor Maine but I don't know how much time I have before I have to be back home for an obligation. So may just swing up north out of WI into Canada then come down towards New York. If I had the time it would be cool to see Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec then over to Maine.

View attachment 19054
Make sure you have all shot info for you dog.

View attachment 19054
Probably no different than we Canadians crossing into the States "except for the gun issue". We have our passports and, up until our dog died, vax records. A Customs officer will likely ask you why you are traveling and where you will be going. Same as for us.
It looks like you will be crossing at Sault St Marie. Make time to do a tour of the Soo Locks. Aune Osborn Campground is a great place to watch the Freighters pass by. (Book early the place gets busy and it's the only place that will accommodate a big rig). The park next door will not allow a big one. Are you sure you don't want to cross back into the States via Niagara Falls? If not, I would really recommend visiting Algonquin Provincial Park then following the St Lawrence into Quebec. "Old" Quebec is pretty neat and don't worry about not being able to speak Quebecois (the French Canadian dialect). We never had a problem. You can then cross back into the States from there.

Safe Travels

Darrell

Last edited:
Speaking from experience, don’t forget your passport. Make it number one on your checklist.

My Canada excursion defaulted to a Plymouth MA and Gettysburg trip as a result of that brain flatulence. I was in PA when it hit me that I forgot something.

I did that route in the other direction in 2016 with dogs (no guns) and without a passport. The Canadian customs agent was more interested in our dogs than us or passports, although I did walk over the day before to make sure they would let me in. Things may have changed since. Also if you’re going all the way to Bar Harbor, consider going all the way “Down East” to Lubec and/or East Port (around 100 miles further along 1). You’ll see more of the real Maine.

Also we took our coach right through down town Bar Harbor and it was TIGHT. Best to dingy in.

View attachment 19054
We have crossed the border three times. We were surprised the first time when after giving them our passports, they knew we are registered gun owners, and that was their first question. They also asked about any other form of protection, and had to show them our bear spray. No worries about Ellie, just have her vaccination records. In fact, have her sitting in the passenger seat, as maybe that will deter them from making you one of their random searches😁 It is easy to get their alcohol, agricultural recquirements online. The first time we followed it exactly and were not searched. The next time, we were a bit more lax, the third time we brought a normal amount of alcohol/wine, and held our breath. When we drove up, a very burly, cross fellow came out😳 We thought we were in trouble. We went through the normal stuff, and when asked about alcohol, Jerry said that we were carrying wine for our personal use. He smiled, and passed us through!!! We waited a few blocks, and relaxed😳
We have visited both sides of Canada, but not the middle. The western side has the most spectaular scenery, and more wild nature. The eastern side has it’s own charm. If you are only doing the area you described, do not skip Quebec City. It is just like being in France, charming, and not a huge city. It would be a great first choice for the area, and much more dog friendly. Also, try to find time for the Bay of Fundy on your way to Maine! Really cool, Judy D

Last edited:
Traveling with a dog into Canada is easy as long as their vaccinations are up to date, and you have a copy of those records with you.

View attachment 19054
Come to Ottawa! There is no problem crossing into Canada, leave your guns at home, bring proof of raby shot and your passport and you good to go.

Latest resources

Back