Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rob2004

RVF Newbee
Hello! My name is Rob. My wife and I are retirees, new to the rv lifestyle, who are wondering if the Sunray 149 Classic might be the right rv for a couple who are interested in taking trips to various locations across the US, boondocking and not, but nowhere too rugged, or too far out of season. We will be towing with a 2018 Toyota Highlander 6 cylinder with a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. but are looking to save as much money as possible on gas, as well as on wear and tear to the vehicle. My questions are as follows:

1. Is it a good entry level rv?
2. Does the company (Sunset Park Manufacturing) stand by their products?
3. If #1 and/or # 2 :are true, why can't I find any reviews anywhere?
4. If #1 and/or #2 aren't true, would you recommend either the Geo / E-Pro TB15, the Great Ascape ST, or perhaps something else under $20,000?
5. And finally, do you think campers of this size are simply too small, even for "weekend warriors" who'd consider boondocking at Walmart an adventure?

Thank you very much

P.S. I realize Ascapes aren't being made any longer. I was hoping to find one used.

Welcome and good luck. Can't talk to your questions, but might recommend you rent a similar sized unit to see if the reality lives up to the expectation.

As for size, we ran out of room in a 38 footer and went bigger, but that is us.:rolleyes:

How you camp, where you camp, and what you consider comfortable are really personal questions. We each figure out what works best, and that can change over time as you find what you enjoy and what you want to avoid.

I see people happing in van's and others not so happy in the largest rigs.

I am not really a vehicle guy but the 5,000 tow limit is something to think about. When you look at towable trailers, you need to figure clothes, water, food, toys, tools, chairs, kitchen items, and a long list of other things. Anything loaded into the vehicle also cuts into that number. There is also the whole stopping question and towing up any sort of incline. The vehicle should also have a proper springs or suspension, trans cooler, round 7 wiring and a good electric brake system.
Vehicle issues can really ruin a weekend.
Ken

I too am thinking about the 149. Was going for the Sunlite 16BH but change my mind when I started adding up the weight. I rather go under and not worry than having to weigh out everything and cut back. In reality 200 to 400 lbs of cargo for that small size is reasonable. Even with a full tank of water, around 210 lbs for boondocking, still leave you plenty of room for what little you can load up. Again, we are talking about the 149. What price are you finding? When I started to look they were $15K but now the 2022 are $18K if lucky.

A year ago I bought a used sunray 149 and towed it home empty with a minivan so I would say your suv will easily tow it (I have since bought a truck). Mine is a 2016 and nothing has broken on it yet so I've never dealt with customer service. I camp with my husband, 3yo daughter and two dogs and we have plenty of room for weekend trips.

Run do not walk. Run as fast as you can from sunset. No customer service. Very poorly made. The outdoor kitchen door on my Sunday 139 blew off on the highway. They said I must not have locked it. That was the worst but I could fill this page with poor construction issues. Go elsewhere please

Run do not walk. Run as fast as you can from sunset. No customer service. Very poorly made. The outdoor kitchen door on my Sunday 139 blew off on the highway. They said I must not have locked it. That was the worst but I could fill this page with poor construction issues. Go elsewhere please
Sounds like you just had a bad one. I bought a Ford once that was nothing but trouble but did not stay clear of Ford just for that one bad experience. My 149 has been doing great for me. Maybe you shouldn't compare it the way a regular house is constructed. Hard to stay in business for that many years without doing something right. Sorry yours didn't turn out right cause mine has been doing great. Just saying amigo!

Bought a SunRay Sport 149 in December and love it. We added small shelves and flipped the table into a bed/couch area, The only con is the tight bathroom size. I love the camper and we have had many trips already. Great entry camper, manuverable and solar is fantastic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back