Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Michelin vs. Toyo tires for RV's (and other brands)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Starting this thread as another thread was getting derailed.

So my plan is to stay with Michelin's as they are a well known proven brand. I personally am hesitant to go to an unknown. I'm at the point now where tires are at the top of my mind and know it's time to change them. Fronts look great, left rears are worn more than right rears but rears are definitely at wear markers, I believe.

If I sent to Toyo's with them being an unknown, to me, I would worry about them every day as I worry about my old tires now, wondering, will they last, etc.

I did a quick google on Michelin vs. Toyo Truck Tires and found some threads of interest but the biggest takeaway is you can't compare numbers when the market share is heavily out of balance (pun intended).

Yea. I heard Michelins are hard to source right now. But if you got them, they should be fresh!
I feel the same as you about going with something other than Michelins. But so many folks have been really happy with. Toyo’s that I figured I would give a look, I have a few months to decide.

Not to further confuse the issue, but these guys are also worth a look:

Michelin's for the Ventana are not hard to source. There is a shop Gaffney recommends, they are cheaper than the FMCA tire program, call them, order, they take to Gaffney and FL Gaffney installs.

Call Snider Tires, ask for Toby: 704-874-0426

Michelin's for the Ventana are not hard to source. There is a shop Gaffney recommends, they are cheaper than the FMCA tire program, call them, order, they take to Gaffney and FL Gaffney installs.

Call Snider Tires, ask for Toby: 704-874-0426
Great to know! I will reach out to them.

crowdfunding for @Neal new tires is up on gofundme. He’s threatening to go on a ramen noodle cup diet only and be a sign holder at intersections and rv parks asking for donations. Let’s spare ourselves the ‘embarrassment of affiliation. No amount is too small.

dream corp sign GIF by Adult Swim

I put 8 Toyo’s on my 2014 Dutch Star back in 2020. I thought they were great tires. Just a little more road noise than the Michelin’s I had on before. During the 5+ years I had the Michelin’s I experienced a few problems that kept me from buying again. Firebird Tire In Phoenix installed the Toyo’s and did a great job for a very reasonable price. A lot cheaper than the Michelin’s.

Thanks @sheridany - I was afraid to share. Thanks for having my back. Elli is down to her last two cups :)

Good to know @Ddmo as it's fear of the unknown. Seems China owned company based now in CA? Still need to do more research and keep learning, personally.

Corrected by @Ddmo - Japanese company, not China.

Last edited:
From my research before I bought Toyo’s, I thought they were a Japanese company manufactured in CA.

From my research before I bought Toyo’s, I thought they were a Japanese company manufactured in CA.
You are correct, my bad.

Latest resources

Back