Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Michelin vs. Toyo tires for RV's (and other brands)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thinking about tire brand between TOYO and Michelin, I guess it comes down to intended use and personal preference. If your rig is stored in the sun and you put lower miles on it, especially using unimproved roads, Boondocking, I might consider TOYO. The TOYO tires seem to be designed for a tougher environment.
If you are using the interstate mostly, store inside and put on the miles, I expect the choice would be Michelin.

Two Toyos and four Michelins please or is that 4 Toyos and two Michelins? I need Toychelins. 🤔😂

Last edited:
Thinking about tire brand between TOYO and Michelin, I guess it comes down to intended use and personal preference. If your rig is stored in the sun and you put lower miles on it, especially using unimproved roads, Boondocking, I might consider TOYO. The TOYO tires seem to be designed for a tougher environment.
If you are using the interstate mostly, store inside and put on the miles, I expect the choice would be Michelin.
Was just getting ready to go there. False economy also needs to be addressed. In case you haven't put it together yet! A set of Michelins equate to everything I have spent on my fifth including what I paid for it. That means I have more cents than dollars.

I look at recall notices, expected tread life, how well UV PROTECTED the product is. I will spend more, IF!!! The life makes no discernable difference in overall costs.

Recall, and dot records set me at ease while going down the road!

I put Michelins on my trucks, but may consider Toyos for my 4x4 in the future.

@Richpatty I believe you got Toyo's installed? Can you give me your first impressions? Notice any difference compared to prior Michelin's? Recommend or not? I'm about to go for a tire change and need all the feedback you can offer on the Toyo's if any.

After reading a fair number of reviews regarding Toyo vs Michelin, they all have a similar take away.

Here is a good Summary that seems common among the reveiws.

Quote from this url: Toyo vs Michelin Tires | Tire Hungry

Differences Between Toyo and Michelin

The main differences between Michelin and Toyo are price, quality, and selection. When it comes to pure price, Toyo wins hands down. They are far cheaper than Michelin, however, when it comes to tires, cheaper isn’t always best.

As far as quality goes, Michelin is simply going to be better as they have an abundance of resources for research and development. Selection is kind of a draw, Michelin has more overall tires to pick from, however, Toyo has a good amount of sports tires compared to Michelin, and Toyo has far more off-road tires compared to Michelin.

Advantages of Toyo

• Well priced for decent quality
  • Large selection of off-road tires
  • Large selection of sports tires

Advantages of Michelin

• Good variety of tire types
  • Innovative fuel efficiency technology
  • Extensive testing for consumer models
  • Some of the longest treadwear warranties in the industry

Which Brand to Choose

Ultimately the choice will come down to your situation, both financially and what you are looking for. If you want some rubber to burn or, go off-road into the desert without breaking the bank, then Toyo is going to be a good choice.

@Richpatty I believe you got Toyo's installed? Can you give me your first impressions? Notice any difference compared to prior Michelin's? Recommend or not? I'm about to go for a tire change and need all the feedback you can offer on the Toyo's if any.
I installed Toyo tires in June and we just returned from our 6,000 miles summer trip. I can honestly say, I couldn't tell any difference in ride, handling, or noise.

I'm going in Monday for Toyo's and just checking for any final NO-GO's. Thank you.

Hi Neal, we now have our first trip with our Toyos (Charlotte to Franklin, NC to Atlanta to Charlotte) and really dont think there was a difference. They seem to ride and handle the same. If there is a difference, I am not sophisticated enough to notice. And I did not notice any difference in mileage…in fact I got about 9mpg on the very flat drive between Atlanta and Charlotte.

If there is one minor difference, it is that the Toyos smell odd when new…. Some folks describe it as a manure smell…. But it is fading and should be gone in a few months. It did not prevent us from sitting outside our rig and it didn’t bother DW (which is critical) so I do see this as a minor issue.

Overall, I do not have any reason to not buy Toyos again, especially since the savings helped me pay for my Rettrobands, which are also now installed.

Hope this helps.
Rich

I replaced the Michelins (315/80 R22.5) on my 2016 Dutch Star with Toyo M144 tires 2 years ago and have been very happy with them. I also installed Centramatics when I replaced the tires. I have 12,000 miles on them and cannot tell any difference in performance. I would go with Toyos again. Final comment. My Toyo tires did not smell when they were new.

Interesting, I thought the M144, which I'm getting, replaced the 305/70R22.5. Is that the right tire for a former 315 size?

Latest resources

Back