120v and generator…

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was just thinking!
Your system was working during the summer right? So is the temperature warm enough for the A/C to kick in?

Nope, you got it. I would check the transfer switch now. It is supposed to automatically go to generator when the shore power is removed.....or if you have an old system, you have to plug the generator in manually in the electric bay.
Yes, the auto switch is working but…are you saying I could possibly have the generator running, as well as the shore power plugged in, then I can unplug and the generator will then switch and supply the power? I was afraid to try that with both sources running at the same time…

I was just thinking!
Your system was working during the summer right? So is the temperature warm enough for the A/C to kick in?
Yes, AC units were working fine in the heat. (I did have to put in new caps in the rear unit but they both worked fine after that.

If you have an automatic transfer switch, it will chose the source. It will always go with shore power if it is available. Some units, mostly 30 amp, will have a male plug coming out of the generator and a female plug near it. You must plug the generator in to use it. It makes you the transfer switch.

If you have 2 AC units you probably have a 50 amp unit but I have seen 30 amp units with a switch where you select which AC is going to run.

If you have 2 AC units you probably have a 50 amp unit but I have seen 30 amp units with a switch where you select which AC is going to run.
My Winnebago had 2 ac units, and 30 amp service, where both could be turned on at the same time. First thing I had to do was replace the cord cap on the ambilical cord. Because the vents were factory, I assumed that was a Winnebago blunder.

They must have been less then 13,500 units. I can't turn on anything in my camper that takes any power if the AC is running. That is microwave, hot water heater.

Yep mine is set up for 50 amp service, but I was only able to wire up an outlet for 30 amps. (Logistical concerns) I know that I can only use one unit at a time, and that shouldn’t be a problem here at home. (What time I’ve spent in it since buying has been repairing!🥴)
Also, I’m familiar with the gensets that had the male plug that had to be plugged into the female outlet on board—I had two 80s units a few years ago…

They must have been less then 13,500 units. I can't turn on anything in my camper that takes any power if the AC is running. That is microwave, hot water heater.
I wouldn't have a clue! I always traveled with it to follow the temperature! As I recall I seldom turned them on. I was always off grid! Did run the generator if needed, but at 2hrs a gallon, the economics turned me off completely!!!

Latest resources

Back