RV Make
Alliance
RV Model
Delt 262RB
RV Length
30'
Fulltimer
No
Looking for a generator that will power my new 2024 Alliance 262RB. It has 2 AC units but all I can find is 27000btu so I'm not sure how big a generator I need and with it what else I will need. I believe it's a 50amp camper so I do need a 50a-30a adaptor but will I need anything else to power my camper.
Thanks for any help

I looked at a 3500 or so Predator at harbor freight. Checked a few boxes for me, 30 amp outlet and such. Until I went to the store and tried to pick one up. Nope. NOT going to work for what I want.
I crossed my fingers bought two of the much smaller 200 watt inverter generators. Plus a kit meant for their larger generators to join them together and give me a 50 amp outlet. No messing with a 30 to 50 amp adapter.

Turns out that together they can run both my older roof AC units. And each one can run a single unit separately. I expect to normally just need one of them if and when. For car shows and such, we're not really boondockers.
They are plain pull starts and I'm sure not the go-to solution for different needs but I'm happy. Plus I can pick them up and fit them in my cargo compartments. Just barely. Portability is big for me. I wanted to use them for other things than with the camper. One at a time they are quieter than bigger units and not bad at all when both are running.

I looked at a 3500 or so Predator at harbor freight. Checked a few boxes for me, 30 amp outlet and such. Until I went to the store and tried to pick one up. Nope. NOT going to work for what I want.
I crossed my fingers bought two of the much smaller 200 watt inverter generators. Plus a kit meant for their larger generators to join them together and give me a 50 amp outlet. No messing with a 30 to 50 amp adapter.

Turns out that together they can run both my older roof AC units. And each one can run a single unit separately. I expect to normally just need one of them if and when. For car shows and such, we're not really boondockers.
They are plain pull starts and I'm sure not the go-to solution for different needs but I'm happy. Plus I can pick them up and fit them in my cargo compartments. Just barely. Portability is big for me. I wanted to use them for other things than with the camper. One at a time they are quieter than bigger units and not bad at all when both are running.
Hey thanks, great info!
I was just looking into the smaller 2500 champion and running in parallel. Would be nice not having to lug a 100# brick around. lol

I have my limits on what I can lug these days. The little Predators I can tote. Before I bought them I noted that people seem to give the Champions pretty good reviews.

The bottom line!
You are not going to run both air units on less than 8kw if you can run them then.

Modify your expectations or be disappointed!

? I can and have run both my AC's on "high" on my pair of 2000's equaling 4000 watts. Probably not something I'd do long term but it works. 8000K? The Onan that came with my coach from the factory and is definitely sufficient is only a 6500.

Temporary is a key word here! Did you know people right here on this forum were fighting power issues during this last summer trying to run ac units on 50 amp service? That is 11000 watts!!!

I too have run the ac on less I did it on a cheap 2500 watt generator. It ran with no problems, until it didn't.

Brown outs are hard on compressors and other electrical equipment, that is why auto transformers are so popular here.

My 4000 Onan would run one ac, but fought hard to keep up if any other appliances were used, running the second ac was out of the question!

I am a realists with a commercial electrical background. My knowledge is given freely here, love it, or leave it!!! My answer was based on a customer being happy with the end result, of course he can compromise, but that's up to him!!!

I've done alot of searching and found lots of videos showing people running 2 on 4000w generators. Myself I'll never use both at the same time and honestly probably one use one when wife is with.
After lots of reviews I've settled on a Genmax 4600. Weight and size is workable and it gives more running watts.

Latest resources

Back