• Commercial/Vendors welcome

2024 Newmar New Aire

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
this has relevance, be nice for the factory to offer the option, a genst with the original 12v system or have the LI Batt/Solar 48v system with no gen.
one of the big companies had a demo model like that last year. Might have been Thor…..? Although I don’t know if it was 48v. When I was toying with this idea, I was going to use a Victron 48v 8kw inverter.

I caved and had the dealer's service department do the 3rd Lithionics battery "plug-in-play" upgrade as the coach is still under warranty and I wanted Newmar and their fingerprints on this.

With the battery came the Lithionics 3-way battery combiner connector (they ditched the Y cable connector as is best practice). Not being small they built a custom shelf for it above the batteries, but unfortunately infront of the bus bar & fuses panel on the back wall. They even moved the Victron battery shunt I had installed and placed it in a better location on that back panel vs behind the batteries. I now have 960Ah of lithium in the rig.

My only disappointment/fear is that my 2023 New Aire still uses an old school battery combiner solenoid for alternator changing, which isn't ideal. Fixing that may be my next project.

Best,
-Mark

There is a video on YouTube interviewing a Lithionics spokesman who have said they do not want to play to the DIY sector for "safety" reasons (obviously taking a shot at Victron). So I think we are stuck.
Not really a shot at Victron! Just a few short years ago the DIY battery builder had hoops to jump Just to get supplies to build their own batteries. Regulation due to it being a safety hazard, was in fact the legitimate reason it was so.

In that day 4ahrs was a typical cell size. Imagine 320 ahrs in Roman candle fashion show.

Same time period insurance would not cover a fire on a system, not installed by a licensed lithium installer.

Not really a shot at Victron! Just a few short years ago the DIY battery builder had hoops to jump Just to get supplies to build their own batteries. Regulation due to it being a safety hazard, was in fact the legitimate reason it was so.

In that day 4ahrs was a typical cell size. Imagine 320 ahrs in Roman candle fashion show.

Same time period insurance would not cover a fire on a system, not installed by a licensed lithium installer.
And, at the same time those same insurance companies were paying big dollars for all the RV fires cause by propane absorption refrigerators. Nothing rivals the risk associated with using propane in an RV.

Other "Banned for Life" iRV2 refugees may remember Mike Mas on that forum. He was one of the very early buyers of a New Aire in 2017 who brought lots of new technology ideas to the NA and posted regularly on iRV2 for a while. As I recall he got crosswise with the moderators on iRV2 and simply left the forum. Here is his web site.

A year ago Lithionics posted a video by Mike that is detailed and wide ranging. He is pushing for high voltages in RV's using these lithium based systems. I think he is on the right tract. I have Ford F-150 hybrid. It is running with two DC electrical systems: 12 volt and 280 volt. The 280 volt system runs the air conditioning and traction motor. Mike is arguing we need to step up to a 51 volt system for RV's. He makes some good points..

Here is the Lithionics YouTube Video.

Although it may be a really good move, to move to higher voltage systems. I don't think you understand the implications!

The Dividing line for low voltage systems is 48 volts. Above that and cost of installations would skyrocket due in whole! to the high voltage designation (N.E.C.). Yes you could work on it, but your insurance company may refuse to pay any losses if they got wind of it! And yes everything you post on the net is in an archive somewhere.

Top all this off with the fact any dealer or service center would likely have to be certified electrical contractors. Aren't you already paying enough for service?

And, at the same time those same insurance companies were paying big dollars for all the RV fires cause by propane absorption refrigerators. Nothing rivals the risk associated with using propane in an RV.
I get it!!! You will get your wake up call, as more RVs have lithium installed!!!

Success! I talked to T. J. at OffTheGridRV in Quartzite, AZ. They are an authorized Lithionics dealer. TJ has added the 3rd Lithionics battery to 3 "Luxury" Newmar coaches. Last one being a new Mountain Aire. T.J.'s current price is around $6,900 for the full install versus $10,000 as a factory option. The 3 port parallel combiner box is more expensive than I thought at $1,300 and is included in that price. Battery alone is $4,600. Apparently there are no SilverLeaf changes needed to support a 3rd battery. All configuration of the Lithionics BMS is done through the Bluetooth Lithionics app. The Lithionics BMS then echos information to SilverLeaf via the RV-Can network. With the parts, installation is fast and easy according to TJ. TJ needs about a month lead time for the some parts.

Everything here applies to any new "Luxury" Newmar model with Lithionics batteries. Here is the complete installation in the Mountain Aire.

View attachment 20752
Does that make us neighbors?

So all y'alls know Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are not the same as Lithium Ion batteries, right? :)

Best,
-Mark

So all y'alls know Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are not the same as Lithium Ion batteries, right? :)

Best,
-Mark
LFP batteries don’t have the same thermal run away characteristics of Lithium Ion, tons safer.
I know of a LFP battery that was damaged by an alarm installer who inadvertently drilled into a battery. Wasn’t immediately caught - until the battery meters indicated the batteries would drain much faster. It was caught in a checkup by Lithionics.
long time of damaged battery with drill through, but no thermal run away.
This isn’t just theory but real world experience.

Latest resources

Back