Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ken34

RVF Newbee
Hello all, new to the RV life. Planning to go to a State Park this summer. My Jayco uses 30 amp for power. The question is the sites have 20amp. My question is what will I be able to use? Most important the frig.

First, I strongly suspect you'll need some type of adapter to plug your RV into that 20-amp outlet. Secondly, you won't be able to run much without tripping the 20 amp breaker on the post. Fridge should be ok, and maybe the coffee pot, but add the A/C, and you'll have problems.
Will you have park-supplied water? If not, there's an added draw from your water pump placing more load on the converter. Electric water heater will definitely be out of the running. You'll be rather limited on what you can do in combination with each other. Running things, by themselves, without turning others on, you might make a go of it.

Roger

Your fridge will be fine, lighting, tv, charging devices, all that will work. You wont be able to use air conditioning, and if you want to run the microwave or a coffee maker (both around 1500w) you’ll either have to do it while the fridge has cycled off or shut off the fridge breaker. Otherwise you’ll run the risk of tripping the breaker on the pedestal.

When in doubt just do the math. Given that you know what each appliance draws, and that amps x volts = watts and watts/volts = amps, you can figure out what you can run on a given power supply with the only variable being the condition of the breaker on the pedestal. And yes as GTS said, make sure you get the adapter for you shore cord. And welcome to the forum!

Your fridge will be fine, lighting, tv, charging devices, all that will work. You wont be able to use air conditioning, and if you want to run the microwave or a coffee maker (both around 1500w) you’ll either have to do it while the fridge has cycled off or shut off the fridge breaker. Otherwise you’ll run the risk of tripping the breaker on the pedestal.

When in doubt just do the math. Given that you know what each appliance draws, and that amps x volts = watts and watts/volts = amps, you can figure out what you can run on a given power supply with the only variable being the condition of the breaker on the pedestal. And yes as GTS said, make sure you get the adapter for you shore cord. And welcome to the forum!
I should have been more specific! Reliably only 80% power is avaliable continuously 1840 watts. Like what Rich said do the math! I suggest you do the math and build a list, that will make it simple in the future.

May I add an option. Large panels (solar) ,coupled by micro-inverters can add watts to your system while plugged in!

I should have been more specific! Reliably only 80% power is avaliable continuously 1840 watts. Like what Rich said do the math! I suggest you do the math and build a list, that will make it simple in the future.

May I add an option. Large panels (solar) ,coupled by micro-inverters can add watts to your system while plugged in!
I hadn’t considered the 80% factor - that’s important to keep from continuously tripping breakers, Good catch Kevin.

Most TN state parks have both 20A and 30A services. Can't say about others. Some will have all three, 20A, 30A, and 50A. As others have said, if you only have a 20A service on the site post, you will be limited as to what you run on electricity. Run what you can on LP, i.e. refrigerator and water heater. Microwave, air conditioner, water heater on electric and hair dryers, and electric coffee makers are power-hungry appliances. The converter will be necessary to keep the battery charged for lights and 12-volt control panels on the appliances, namely refrigerator and water heater. Even with a 30 amp service, not an adapter from 20A to 30A, will limit one as to what can be run at the same time. I see many comments where it seems that folks think just because it is on-board or installed in their RV they should be able to use all of them at the same time. Furtherest from fact. A 20A service is about 2400 watts, a 30A service is 3600 watts, and a 50A service is 12000 watts total.

Just be mindful about what is on and off. In some cases, turn something off before turning something else on.

Bob

Latest resources

Back