• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved 30amp 110 Fuse box overheating, wires burnt

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There.....your second set of pics helps. I see a two-fold problem. It looks as if that box has been wet more than once, and the steel screws have rusted, initiating the overall problem. The rust starts the resistance and poor connection issue. As was stated, you're on the right path. New bus bars and wire pigtails should solve your electrical problem(s).

Roger

Btw… maybe use Wego clips instead of wire nuts…. They made hold together better.

There.....your second set of pics helps. I see a two-fold problem. It looks as if that box has been wet more than once, and the steel screws have rusted, initiating the overall problem. The rust starts the resistance and poor connection issue. As was stated, you're on the right path. New bus bars and wire pigtails should solve your electrical problem(s).

Roger
Great call!!! Be good to check out that at the same time!

That box has plenty of room for some wire nuts!

The shore cord looks fine from the pole to the junction box in the hookups bay. I don't think it's a direct short I think its due to the AC compressor overheating the wires, the AC breaker did trip a few times and now we know why. To make matters worse, we have been keeping our electric water heater on too long.
How does the shore cord look? This appears to be a direct short.

Lowes works

Very interesting thread, Thanks all. It sounds to me like you're on the right track. I agree, the cause probably was a loose screw. I've been told I have a few myself, could be as I have a few un-explained things occasionally going on myself!! LOL I know what you mean when you say wire nutting the wires is turning out to be a daunting task!! I've never seen an electrical box, breaker box almost anything electrical with room enough to work! Good luck with everything, please keep us up to date.
Yes it could have been a loose screw on the bar or one of the breakers. Daunting because the wires are so thick to work with and like to you said not enough room in the breaker box. Will update soon I hope. Thanks

Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees!

Turn the phone on it's side, and give us a full picture of the wires! You give us burned wire, but no full picture. My eyes keep running off the picture while trying to trace the wires! I am afraid I will damage My eye's when they fall 😁

From what I see, the white (neutral/Common) wire along the bottom has lost it's insulation. The worst of it is closer to the neutral buss bar. That is common when screws are loose.

I would get a new bar from home Depot that will fit in the box, and land the neutrals on the new bar.

Any fried wires that will not reach when shortened, simply wire nut a pigtail to it so it will.

Takes time,but it's not rocket science.
Yea sorry about that , here's a landscaped picture attached as you can see I've removed the main breaker and Air Con breaker and detaches the corresponding wires and detaches one of the damaged wires from the bar, this was before I saw you reply. We don't have Home Depot only Lowe's and Harbor Freight, so I'm going to see if I can get replace the 2 breakers get some 30amp rated copper wire and wire nut but I may not have to since there seems to be some slack in the wire harness I may just be able to strip and pull out good wire. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Well I'll be continuing today, going to have to use heatshrink on the bare wire and probably the wire pigtails since I'm not having much success with the wire nuts, attached are some current progress photos, including what I have to work with from Lowe's. I just need a temporary fix, so I can focus on the higher priority repairing the break line once done with that i can put all myattention on the electric. received_26269971432593819.jpegreceived_2594688970713361.jpegreceived_829504882578998.jpeg

Attachments

• received_1027200111574735.jpeg
    received_1027200111574735.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back