• Commercial/Vendors welcome

3D Printing and RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The beauty of 3D printing is why not try it both ways. It's all about learning and seeing what works best.

Well....received an estimate to 3D print two small parts from a commercial printer....$752!! OK now this was for PA 12 40% Glass Filled Selective Laser Sintering build in .004" layers. However, I had no idea this was that expensive. Yikes!!

@JoeHogan , send me the file and I'll print in basic PLA. At least you can see if the design is going to work.

Ya know, just printing stuff.

IMG_1765.png

@JoeHogan , send me the file and I'll print in basic PLA. At least you can see if the design is going to work.
I appreciate the offer. However, I think I'll just make this out of 1/4 " flat steel for now. A couple quick welds and it will be done. :):)

3D printing isn't always fun! At times it doesn't work properly, something is messed up or filament is jammed, it can be frustrating! These 3D printers are not like computer printers where they are perfected and just work and if they don't work they're broke. I spent 6 hours of my wonderful Saturday morning getting my printer to work, something out of alignment in the extruder and/or filament clogged. Had to do a pretty major disassembly and about threw the whole thing in the garbage can but I finally got it working again. It can be infuriating. My situation is more complicated because I made a bad decision to get the multi material "upgrade" (mmu2) which is horrendous. I have yet to bring myself to just remove it as there is some reverting required I don't want to deal with. Just be warned, there will be times you'll have to troubleshoot, disassemble, swear a bit, and get things working again. This is why if going the Prusa route assembling your own will be good training for repairs.

@Neal, sorry to hear. I had a small glitch this morning while changing filaments...was wondering how long these go before something breaks/wears out. For as much as it bounces back/forth and forward/back I'm surprised about having no issues YET. Bought an extra nozzle, but have not had to use it. Bought a new filament from Amazon that I like so far...Duramic 3D. Limited colors, am using the white which I've almost used an entire roll in a week. It prints very true and adheres well...no issues yet.

I don't think things are wearing out other than filament aging and being affected by the climate when not in the bag with the desiccant. Yes, I bought way too much filament so I will have to deal with that, if it's really an issue. My main headache is the MMU2 but I've changed the nozzle a few times and put a new one on today as I thought that may be a contributing factor. I took the nozzle and hot end apart and saw filament stuck in there so it was a matter of just manually setting the nozzle temp up to around 250 to melt it out and push a nozzle cleaning rod down the path to push it out. I have changed nozzles a few times but I'm willing to bet I could still be using the original one that came with it. I've also bought the hardened steel one and olsson ruby (total waste of money).

I think the issue is mainly filament "dust" and particles that will be the main issue. My 3D printing life was amazing prior to this MMU2. Complete regret but it's a neat concept to do multi-color.

Glad you found a good filament locally (other than Czech). Prusament has been my favorite but today it's the one that was giving me trouble. I use AmazonBasics and Hatchbox without problems too but Prusament is amazing.

Well, back to restarting this print job again (29 hour job) as my first layer cal is still not right with the nozzle change (trying the hardened steel one now).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B69Y5ZH/?tag=rvf01-20

Extra standard nozzles if needed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CB7VYB2/?tag=rvf01-20

There was a time, quite recently, when I was considering getting into 3D printing. This recent conversation has saved me from that fate! I'll just continue going out to the shop and firing up the lathe and milling machine when I need to make something. Probably not as fast, but I can pretty much create whatever I want without having to do battle with computers and technology. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TJ

Latest resources

Back