• Commercial/Vendors welcome

3D Printing and RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Youtube has a few good Vloggers. Autodesk, the manufacturer of the software, on Youtube is a good source as well as Product Design Online and Lars Christensen, also on Youtube. The one thing to watch is the date of the Video. The software has been substantially updated recently so the command structure is slightly different in some older videos.

Here are a few links I suggest. First two are great if you have questions for the experts, I'm barely good enough to do what I need. The 3rd is a YouTube series I highly recommend.

JOE HOGAN:
Are you gonna use that new printer to make the hood brackets we had spoken about on Facebook?
Enjoy your new toy!(y)

I've sent the prototype Fusion 360 drawings of the brackets for the front hood struts to a commercial 3D print shop. The first set will probably be printed in ABS or something inexpensive for fitting, then on to a more print a more durable material for the final brackets. Hopefully I do not have to many adjustments :).

Here's something to ponder, fellow CAD RVFers. I want to print (someday) an adapter. Garmin ball size (17mm) on one end and a 1 inch Ram ball on the other. Having spheres on each end, supporting it on the table is problematic. So, instead of trying to print it as one piece with supports being an issue, why not split the 1 inch ball into hemispheres, then the equator can be on the table providing a stable base for the print? Then the final assembly would be to glue the 2 hemispheres together. Critique, comments, suggestions?
garmin 17mm to 1inch.png

To keep it pretty gluing it may be best. It is not uncommon to 3D print things that are not in contact with the bed and that is where supports come in which you break away after printing. You can try either way, you can always sand and paint your finished product too if the supports leave too much of a mess. A heat gun also comes in handy to melt off stringing.

I have a small one for hobby work and a larger one I used on solar work, both would do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z9LUDG/?tag=rvf01-20

heat-gun.png

There are plenty of RAM parts and balls on thingiverse.com. Sometimes I cheat (use an existing design), sometimes I force myself to design and print my own or you won't learn :)

I knew I should have already mentioned that I know about these. In my defense, why would I want to pay $3.99 for something I can spend a thousand dollars and dozens of hours learning a new software and add to it all the frustrations involved for an old man to learn a new trick? Sheesh LOL:sneaky: Plus, the Ram snap-link is 3/4" and I need 1".

And thingiverse too

I knew I should have already mentioned that I know about these. In my defense, why would I want to pay $3.99 for something I can spend a thousand dollars and dozens of hours learning a new software and add to it all the frustrations involved for an old man to learn a new trick? Sheesh LOL:sneaky: Plus, the Ram snap-link is 3/4" and I need 1".

@RandyB , I like the way you think. I guess one needs to be immersed in Fusion360 and 3D printing to appreciate it (or maybe just old).

Latest resources

Back