• Commercial/Vendors welcome

3D Printing and RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Morning @Neal Enclosure looks interesting. Couple questions...
Does the filament reel reside inside the enclosure?
Is there room for more than one reel?
Is there a provision for feeding filament through a hole from the back?
Have you finished assembly? If so, what are your thoughts...happy?
Thanks,
Gil

Morning @Neal Enclosure looks interesting. Couple questions...
Does the filament reel reside inside the enclosure?
Is there room for more than one reel?
Is there a provision for feeding filament through a hole from the back?
Have you finished assembly? If so, what are your thoughts...happy?
Thanks,
Gil
I believe that's the non MMU way, for me the reels will be outside the enclosure. I think for the non MMU reels can certainly reside inside the enclosure and there are spool holders you can print if needed.

Here are the assembly instructions. I'm a day or two away from completing mine. I had to print a few parts to do the hinged lid conversion and realized I could still use my Prusa printer (didn't care for the results of the other one) as the power supply is just detached but still connected to use. Amazing how nice this printer prints!

Here is the printable parts link if you would need to print anything which I did. It shows the spool in the enclosure.

I think the enclosure is a good concept and typically preferred for printing to keep temps consistent and avoid warping. PLA typically doesn't need an enclosure but ABS, PETG, etc. from what I've heard does. There are other benefits, sound, smell, on top of better 3D printing.

I also bought the LED light strip, seems with each add-on you may opt for it adds work to the build. I'm not sure I'll end up adding the LED strip in the end after reading the instructions. We'll see. As it has been a bit of work I have to admit it's almost been a joy to build.

I believe that's the non MMU way, for me the reels will be outside the enclosure. I think for the non MMU reels can certainly reside inside the enclosure and there are spool holders you can print if needed.

Here are the assembly instructions. I'm a day or two away from completing mine. I had to print a few parts to do the hinged lid conversion and realized I could still use my Prusa printer (didn't care for the results of the other one) as the power supply is just detached but still connected to use. Amazing how nice this printer prints!

Here is the printable parts link if you would need to print anything which I did. It shows the spool in the enclosure.

I think the enclosure is a good concept and typically preferred for printing to keep temps consistent and avoid warping. PLA typically doesn't need an enclosure but ABS, PETG, etc. from what I've heard does. There are other benefits, sound, smell, on top of better 3D printing.

I also bought the LED light strip, seems with each add-on you may opt for it adds work to the build. I'm not sure I'll end up adding the LED strip in the end after reading the instructions. We'll see. As it has been a bit of work I have to admit it's almost been a joy to build.
Thanks @Neal for the detailed response...look forward to hearing more about how you like it in use.

The enclosure is done with exception of a few mods and I need to find a new way to mount the raspberry pi camera for OctoPrint. Wasn't hard, almost fun, but it is a significantly larger footprint on the table but that's fine. The printer can be easily removed and used as the power supply is modular and you would just remove the LCD display which is easy so if I wanted to take this in the RV I still could. I haven't done a print yet but will soon. It should be quieter too due to the enclosure.

IMG_4659.JPG

I ended up installing the LED light strip add-on I included with this and in the end I'm glad I got it. I use OctoPrint (via raspbarry pi) to monitor the print, records it, notifies me on my phone of issues, etc. As often a print can go into the night nothing will be recorded. It took me about two hours to install it, wasn't bad at all. The job is now 100% complete.

Noticed my hot end nozzle area was loose, I probably could have fixed it but I decided to replace the hotend, new E3D kit just came. Pain the buttocks but done, first layer cal finally good after multiple tries. I hate lowering the nozzle but that's what it took.

Noticed my hot end nozzle area was loose, I probably could have fixed it but I decided to replace the hotend, new E3D kit just came. Pain the buttocks but done, first layer cal finally good after multiple tries. I hate lowering the nozzle but that's what it took.
Yes, PITA. Each time I have to replace, it's like starting over...watch the video and go step by step. It IS satisfying once it is all done and working properly.

Prusa released the next gen of the MK3 => MK4 is out. Who's getting???

Looks like I may take the leap into 3D printing at some point. I’ve contracted for dedicated storage space which will have room and adequate ventilation for this hobby😎

It's a lot of fun. I really enjoy designing something and then printing it. It's been so useful since I got into the hobby. I'll probably get this MK4 after it settles out a while and any tweaks are made. I will never get a MMU again, biggest mistake (multi-filament add-on).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back