• Commercial/Vendors welcome

50 a cord

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So when I was at my brother's, we did park in his driveway and used the adapter for a 20amp outlet, would that done something?

I would check continuity of each leg of the cord using a multimeter at each prong and the associated screw where the line is attached to the rig. Also, check to be sure the attachment screw is real tight. In many cases they can loosen over

If you have followed all advise listed , and assuming you also have a generator you maybe looking at a failed transfer switch/serge protector. As Chargerman suggested a wire lug could have come loose in the switch or the unit may have failed
A lot of us use a poll mounted surge protector plugged into the pedestal that actually diagnoses the power before connecting the Coach power. Maybe some has one that you could borrow as a quick test?
I know you say this has happened before, but to accurately diagnose you need to verify things in a logical order starting at the source of power than at every other logical stop along the circuit
1)Pedestal
2)Cord
3)Transfer switch
4)Wires from transfer switch to beaker box
5)Breakers
Disclaimer: electricity is not something to mess with if you’re not qualified or if you feel uncomfortable, if that is the case, you should seek the help of a professional good luck

So we have a 2004 journey and on our current trip, I have plugged our 50a cord into shore power and I get nothing but when I plug my 30a adapter in it works fine.
Ok op org post said works with 20 amps now I’m reading 30mp Given this it sounds like an open neutral

Send us you reasoning!
Sorry I was wrong on the open neutral. Here is what I think is the issue
When you connect the 30 amp adapter you’re taking the one 30amp 220 lead and feeding both 50amps legs of the coach. Hard to say without actually checking it ,but if “everything works” with the 30 amp adapter as the op is saying then it really indicates a problem with the pedestal. I say this because the 30 amp adapter is getting 220 to the 50 amp plug if everything works. And if both 50 amp circuits in the coach are getting power from this arrangement , it indicates when the op plugs the 50 amp plug in to the pedestal one of the 220v circuits for the 50 amps is dead. What are your thoughts?

This may help explain

Attachments

• IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 6
Ok!

You asked to many questions!

I personally don't have a dogbone. That means I have to guess. But it would make sense to connect l1 and l2 to the hot leg of the 30 amp service to make power available all through the coach. Because I don't have a dogbone I can't test to verify my assumption.

The neutral on a 220 or above voltage system is what makes 110 or 277 in industrial systems.

If on a MH with 50 amp service an open neutral could serve up 220 volts and fry anything connected to it, but that is not what we have here.

This is what I think has happened!

Last summer was brutal and service was stressed! Not the 30 amp service, rather the 50 amp service. Breakers tripped often, and failed. My guess is many 50 amp pedestals were not serviced afterwards as they should have been. That is why the 30 amp works, and the 50 doesn't at more than one space.

A serge protector, or multi meter could prove me right or wrong, but that is where I would look. I am so glad I do it off grid!!! I never expect to much, and never disappointed with accommodations.

Sorry I was wrong on the open neutral. Here is what I think is the issue
When you connect the 30 amp adapter you’re taking the one 30amp 220 lead and feeding both 50amps legs of the coach. Hard to say without actually checking it ,but if “everything works” with the 30 amp adapter as the op is saying then it really indicates a problem with the pedestal. I say this because the 30 amp adapter is getting 220 to the 50 amp plug if everything works. And if both 50 amp circuits in the coach are getting power from this arrangement , it indicates when the op plugs the 50 amp plug in to the pedestal one of the 220v circuits for the 50 amps is dead. What are your thoughts?
Clarification: RV 50A power, is actually 2 legs of 120V electricity.
YES they add up to 240V but they are separate.
30A RV power is 120V, (110).
Ask anyone that wired their own 30A RV service with 240V. They'll show you a big bill for the repairs.

Mark

Latest resources

Back