7 antennas off - 2 on - here is what I did

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Dropped WiFi again. Ugh.

Broadcasting outside and having it strong both inside and outside just allows me to use my WiFi wherever from walking the dog, outside at the bench etc. Guess paddle antennas going on WiFi in the morning.

@Neal the Husky’s have to be 18” away from your AC. It did not occur to me that you (or anyone?) would mount them on the AC shroud. I highly doubt you are gaining anything from that other than an increased total height of your RV.

I don’t think two antennas connected to two modems is much of a problem but I am certain you should not put them that close to your AC and highly confident that you aren’t gaining much of anything from raising them that extra 6” on top of your AC shroud.

@Neal ... do you have any pictures of your roof before and after you removed the seven (7) antennas?

Just trying to imagine what that looks like.

FLSteve

As Mapnerd suggested, is the A/C interfering? Are your 2 Omni directional antennas, at full power and relatively close together, interfering with each other?
What would happen if you turned off the rear Pepwave, would the signal from the front unit be more stable?
Or maybe WiFi paddles on the front unit and exterior WiFi on the rear unit?
Curious as to why 2 pepwave units? What is this setup supposed to gain? (Bad pun intended)

@FLSteve - no, there is no evidence of such, my roof is private :)

I had a panorama 2-in-1 antenna on the AC shroud in the past and it was ideal, no interference was noted. I am not exhibiting any interference, the connectivity is fine, cellular signal is strong and speed tests surpass the Pepwaves I believe. The Wi-Fi signal strength does not appear to be as strong as the Pepwave 02 dedicated wifi antenna. While it complicates my setup I may need to go with an internal Wi-Fi again which would allow me to get Wi-Fi 6 which is good, otherwise I may switch to the Pepwave paddle antennas. The benefit of the dedicated interior Wi-Fi setup is as @redbaron alluded, use the roof antenna to bring in external sources and use an internal Wi-Fi router for coach use.

Moral is the Pepwave antennas were ideal, I believe the cellular performance of the Husky may be better but this could also be better location on top of the AC shroud, Wi-Fi performance is sub par from the Pepwave in my initial experience. I'm not sure of the antenna pattern in the Husky, i.e. is it omni, lateral, upward? Is it going to provide good signal BELOW the antenna which is inside the coach?

Ideally the half bath router would be best for Wi-Fi but my LAN setup is not setup for this as the front AV box is where the ethernet is that goes to a switch that supplies everything else in the coach. I haven't figured out the Wi-Fi mesh yet and I'm not sure it would work for my needs as the purpose of the 2 x Pepwaves is an Active/Active WAN source. My options appear to be live with it as is, go to paddle wi-fi antennas, or install a wi-fi 6 router on the LAN.

I put the Wi-Fi paddle antennas on and the Wi-Fi is night and day better. My android phone Wi-Fi signal test went from -90 to -54 by switching to the paddles, i.e. much stronger. Tests on the laptop verify.

This leads me to my opinionated conclusions, based on my antenna mounting location, etc.
  1. Pepwave antennas are likely better as they are on 6.5ft leads instead of Parsec's 15ft leads. If I did this again I would go with Pepwave's 421 (4 cellular, 2 wifi, 1 gps).
  2. I recommend the Pepwave antennas over the Parsec but if you go with Parsec consider maybe a cellular only or cellular + gps or realize the wifi may not be ideal for inside the coach.
  3. I may have experienced better results in my prior setup as I had dedicated Wi-Fi antennas and dedicated cellular antennas, 4 in total on my roof
  4. Parsec appears to get better cellular connectivity. The pepwaves were elevated so I'm not going to attribute too much to antenna position. As I don't have both antennas available for side by side testing this takes away some merit from this conclusion as I can't test the same point in time.
  5. Working at the dinette sucks, I miss my desk. I need a better chair that is taller and better lumbar support! The height of the dinette compared to my dinette seat setup will lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, i.e. a terrible angle for me. Need to fix this going forward as I don't to bring the desk back for reasons stated in another thread I believe...makes televator unusable without some effort which I never did.
  6. I'm leaving Pepwave 2's Wi-Fi to the roof Parsec for bringing in external Wi-Fi sources when available.

1. Working at the dinette sucks, I miss my desk. I need a better chair that is taller and better lumbar support! The height of the dinette compared to my dinette seat setup will lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, i.e. a terrible angle for me. Need to fix this going forward as I don't to bring the desk back for reasons stated in another thread I believe...makes televator unusable without some effort which I never did.
Since you are trying laptop only, consider doing what I do. I sit in the driver’s chair, tilt the wheel slightly and place my laptop on the wheel. I pull down the arm rests on the drivers chair and rest my elbows there and adjust the chair as needed.

My pepwave sits in the cabinet above so the signal is always excellent there, and I have cup holders and a phone charger right there.

Cellular speeds continue to be very strong. At new location (Gaffney, SC) and both AT&T and Verizon are both around 100 down 80 up.

So it seems to me RECEIVE is good especially on the A/C shroud. Transmit has not been as desired as discussed. Resolution would be as I'm doing and using paddle antennas or install a separate Wi-Fi antenna such as I used prior to this.

speedtest.jpg

So the question is...are all in one's really a good idea? While it's more cost effective and space efficient for a 7-in-1 or better, is it really the ideal antenna setup?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your use case. Those speeds are more than enough to be zooming, netflixing, chatting, emailing and listening to music all at the same time.

Lower Upload speeds really aren’t as impacting as low download speeds unless it’s video chat.

Latest resources

Back