Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
I was poking around on the roof of the Dutch Star today and noticed a single solar panel mounted near the rear of the coach on top of the master bath roof section. I am assuming that it is to trickle charge the chassis battery but I have never seen mention of it in the manuals. Does anyone else have this? Is it standard or maybe a dealer specified special order?
Also I am wondering if anyone that has solar installed on their DS 4081 has good pictures of the installation. I was scoping out how one would lay out the panels. Are they installed with short stand off posts in between all of the other equipment mounted roof top or are they mounted on a frame over the top of the heat pumps and roof vents. Clearly they can not be mounted above the satellite and Winegard antennas. I am considering removing the Winegard and DTV equipment since we use our Star Link exclusively for entertainment and communication. I am thinking that there is enough roof top space to install enough solar to not only power the coach but also power my house since it is plugged in 24/7 when we are not traveling. Wheels Turning.
1710126358440.png

Rusty, my 4018 has a solar trickle panel for the chassis like that. I don't have a big solar install, but all that I have seen pictures of are laid out around the existing protrusions/appliances. It would be a nightmare if you had to work on an A/C or snake a plumbing vent if the panels were on top.

The small is barely a trickle charge for chassis batteries. I have a 4381 Ventana with 6 panels on the roof. Could put more. My panels are on mounts that sit about 2" off the roof. I can easily get to all 3 of my AC units.
IMG_5045.jpg
IMG_5046.jpg

I was poking around on the roof of the Dutch Star today and noticed a single solar panel mounted near the rear of the coach on top of the master bath roof section. I am assuming that it is to trickle charge the chassis battery but I have never seen mention of it in the manuals. Does anyone else have this? Is it standard or maybe a dealer specified special order?
Also I am wondering if anyone that has solar installed on their DS 4081 has good pictures of the installation. I was scoping out how one would lay out the panels. Are they installed with short stand off posts in between all of the other equipment mounted roof top or are they mounted on a frame over the top of the heat pumps and roof vents. Clearly they can not be mounted above the satellite and Winegard antennas. I am considering removing the Winegard and DTV equipment since we use our Star Link exclusively for entertainment and communication. I am thinking that there is enough roof top space to install enough solar to not only power the coach but also power my house since it is plugged in 24/7 when we are not traveling. Wheels Turning. View attachment 23062
Rusty...I have same barn at my house

Also I am wondering if anyone that has solar installed on their DS 4081 has good pictures of the installation. I was scoping out how one would lay out the panels. Are they installed with short stand off posts in between all of the other equipment mounted roof top or are they mounted on a frame over the top of the heat pumps and roof vents. Clearly they can not be mounted above the satellite and Winegard antennas. I am considering removing the Winegard and DTV equipment since we use our Star Link exclusively for entertainment and communication. I am thinking that there is enough roof top space to install enough solar to not only power the coach but also power my house since it is plugged in 24/7 when we are not traveling. Wheels Turning. View attachment 23062
Your are correct the panel charges chassis batteries

The small is barely a trickle charge for chassis batteries. I have a 4381 Ventana with 6 panels on the roof. Could put more. My panels are on mounts that sit about 2" off the roof. I can easily get to all 3 of my AC units.View attachment 23152View attachment 23153
So! I'm not suggesting to anyone that this video is an option for RV installation.
But it gets into shading, and that means more than many realize.

And yes I see micro inverters as a great way to expand an already installed system, but only after a point.

These pictures are very important to my choice to share this video, so grab your popcorn and enjoy the lesson!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest resources

Back