Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Advise against using locking hitch pins for RV toads (towed vehicles)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Actually not. Neal has a secret website that lets us know you are replying. Works like a charm. ?

Wow, some of you are walking around with foil on you head.

At least we have moved on from pineapples...

The "PI EMS PTX50" is a Progressive Industries surge suppressor and power circuit tester. Some RVs have a built-in surge suppressor, but many do not.

This is a unit that plugs into the park electrical power post. Your coach power cable plugs into it. The purpose is to guard against damaging power spikes as well as low-voltage situations that can damage things like air conditioners, etc.

Do you need one? Well, I do, but I see some folks doing without them. I guess it boils down to how much of a gambler you are.

This unit instantly detects a power spike and opens the electrical circuit, preventing high voltage from entering your coach's electrical system. It also monitors low voltage and drops the circuit out if the voltage gets below a preset level. Unfortunately, many RV parks suffer from the low-voltage situation. More on that in a minute.

An additional benefit of the PI EMS PT50 is that it can run a diagnostic on the park power source before you plug in, detecting improper grounds, dead or reversed legs, etc. That allows you to verify the integrity of the power source before you plug in.

Back to the low-voltage situation for a moment. Many RV parks (especially older ones) have poorly constructed power distribution systems; undersized writing, poorly maintained breaker boxes. odd-ball wiring not done by a qualified electrician, etc. In these parks, when occupancy levels get high (park is more than half full or so) and everyone turns on their air conditioners, voltage levels sag...sometimes to dangerously low levels. Nominally, the power should be at 120 volts under load. I have seen some parks where the voltage sags to less than 100 volts in high-use periods. Bad for coach electrical systems and appliances.

So, you may also see references to a "Hughes Autoformer" in regard to low-voltage. This is another "accessory" that can boost voltage levels about 10% and prevent electrical damage to the coach systems. Do you "need" that? Probably only if you will be staying in older RV parks or places not designed for modern motorhomes. You will find that RVers tend to carry a number of "accessories" that protect their safety or that of their coach.

TJ
ok got it! I have this surge protector. The couple before me had it! Now did you say you put a lock on the pedal of the tow car. Like where the Air force is? Is this just a standard lock? I have learned a lot on this site. Locking pins,tow arms or hitch pins, developing checklists, fire extinguishers handy near the back of coach,tire sensors. Oh MY!!!

No lock pin for your toad braking system. The pin referenced is the pin going thru the tow bar locking it into the receiver on the motorhome. Discussion is should you use a locking pin so that your tow bar can’t be stolen.

Here’s another reason not to use locking pins which I learned today. Went to take the bike rack off of the hitch of our toad so I could take it through a car wash and found it severely corroded. It was a keyed locking pin and after inserting the key, it just would not turn. I sprayed some WD-40 in and let it sit, tried again 30 minutes later. No dice. Tried PB Blaster, that seemed to make it worse because before I could at least jiggle the key but the PB Blaster seemed to turn the tumbler into a stone. Likely rust came off and jammed it up even more as I couldn’t even wiggle the key after that.

Then it happened, I turned too hard and too fast and broke the key off.

Out comes the angle grinder. Cut off the pin and removed the bike rack. Got the truck cleaned and picked up a standard bent pin with a cotter pin.

locks are great but unless you’re towing some really high value stuff, they might be more hassle than they are worth.
A93DE3FC-CA1B-430F-A112-03E51FFDCD6E.jpeg

1778C416-2682-4759-9024-60B0BF371776.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back