Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450 hp Cummins
TOW/TOAD
3017 Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Still learning and experimenting with the coach. I set the AGS to enable with QT. Qiet time is set to 9pm to 9am. Start voltage set to 12.2. Generator starts at 9am sharp and runs for one hour. The problem is it doesn't fire back off at 12.2. It eventually starts, but I am not there to see the actual voltage when it does start up. I have seen 12.1s with no start. Secondarily, the microwave and fridg get shed at 12.4. Is any of this normal? 12.2 is the highest start value available.

Sounds like quiet time is preventing it starting any sooner. Is there a priority function?

Not that I can find. It is cycling during the day, but the voltage is going lower than 12.2 volts before it cycles on. I have the temp setting turned off. But that shouldn't affect the voltage set parameter.

That is what I am thinking. The Newmar screen and the magnum screen are reading the same, though. I am leaning toward a toward an internal setting that isn't visual.

Does momentary voltage drops trigger AGS? The voltage will drop when a large draw is applied then return to previous levels when draw stabilizes.
is there a set amount of time at below 12.2v that triggers the AGS start?
AGS settings are still a mystery to me.

AGS auto start voltage setting at 12.2 volts is pretty high.

There is a 2 minute time delay (quoting from my Magnum remote control manual). Could be that the voltage is bumping back up above 12.2 volts during the time delay?

Here is an excerpt from my manual concerning the determination of AGS start voltage. BTW, I have my AGS voltage setting at 11.5 VDC. I've seen voltage dip to 11.6 then a large DC load cycles off. Indicated voltage recovers to 12.1 or so.

Excerpt:

Where should I set Start Volts? When setting the VDC start voltage, it must be high enough to not over-discharge the battery, but also low enough to keep from nuisance starting the generator. Typically, start volts is set based on what is determined to be approximately 50% of the battery capacity. Since this is an inverter/battery system, and the battery is normally loaded, the VDC used to determine 50% battery capacity should be set lower than what is shown on typical battery voltage SOC charts (approximately 11-11.5 in a 12-volt system), which show the battery at rest (not loaded).

Jaydee,
I understand momentary spikes and dips. However, my microwave and refrigerator are going off at anything below 12.4vdc. I know 12.2 is the highest setting on the magnum, I am just trying to understand how what settings I need and how to keep things functioning. Are you having those issues with the microwave and fridg?

11.5 is a dead battery. I would understand a setting like that to prevent momentary dips from starting the gen but not allowing them to reach that low while at rest or general discharging. A time delay would work for dips, but I am not allowing any of my batteries to reach that low.

I just reread that page from your manual. I think they explain that. It is lower then the normal SOC....to prevent starting before needed.

Okay, I may have figured my problem out. I had AGS start volts at 12.2. The low battery cutout in the startup section was set at 12.4VDC. Just for experimenting I set the low battery cut out at 11VDC. I turned on the convection oven to put a steady strong draw on the batteries. I was at 12.6 before convection. Two minutes later I was at 11.3 and the generator kicked on. The low battery cut out was killing me.

Latest resources

Back