Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
About a week ago, our rear AC quit blowing cold. The fan works normally, but the compressor isnt coming on. I took a look at it and saw nothing obvious, but ordered a dual run capacitor and a start capacitor as rule-outs and will try them today. Tomorrow a hard start capacitor will arrive here (in Memphis for a few days) so if the above doesnt work I’ll try that. After that I don’t know what to do.

Ideas?

Little update:

Both the run and start capacitors tested good. I replaced the 57mf compressor start cap with a 180 (don’t have a hard start on hand) and no changes. The compressor doesn’t start but it does get hot. So I tested for a short between all three connections and there is continuity between red, blue, and white in all directions, but with the leads disconnected, all wiring tests ok.

So my conclusion is that I need a compressor. And since no one works on these units I guess its time to replace it. Its easy enough to swap out the units but getting it up on the roof would be a chore so it looks like Im paying to have it done.

Any suggestions on good shops to do this? Im on the road crossing the country and then back again, so almost any location will likely work. I’ll hit up Newmar and a refrigeration outfit in Shipshewana, see if I can get an apointment that works with my travel plans.

There has been a shortage of certain ac unit assuming you are talking about replacing the whole unit. You may have to call around to see who has one in inventory. This was the case late last year.

Its a Dometic low profile 15k btu heat pump. They are available for $1650 and replacement is probably going to be the only answer since Dometic doesnt sell the compressor and no one works on these units, but I received a hard start capacitor yesterday so I have one last thing to try. Its more of a rule out because I think the compressor is done, but I’ll try it anyway. Fortunately the weather has been mild for this time of year in Memphis.

If you have a clamp-on AC Ampmeter you can measure the Locked Rotor current. The correct current is posted on the side of the compressor. That will tell you if the compressor is defective.

As to repair, if,..... that is a big IF,...... because it is hot and all of these services are working +12hrs a day. Contact a respectable or independent HVAC company/person. Some DO work on RV AC units. Replacing the compressor is way less expensive than a new unit.

I have to buy an ampmeter because Im not traveling with one - live and learn. Really never imagined I’d need to bring it, but….So I’ll have one for the coach. LRA is supposed to be 12.9. It will be interesting to see what it pulls with a hard-start on it. Chances are it’ll be more and the thing is done, but its worth a try.

The compressor would be easy to change and I could do it if I had the stuff, but replacement compressors seem to be hard to come by. Given time I’m sure I can find one. I might load the old AC in the back of the jeep and take it home to repair it and keep it as a spare. At $1650 it hardly seems like a throw-away to me.

But I went through this about 10 years ago in a different coach. I drove from Utah to Memphis, calling every seemingly worthwhile HVAC place along the way, and everybody said the same thing: “We don’t work on those”. I bought a new one at a CW in Arkansas, did the swap at the Agri-Center CG in Memphis, and took the old one home and fixed it. Put it on a utility trailer. Back then the replacement was $650, but I digress (as usual).

I’ve been fortunate with the weather (mild) and this afternoon its steak, beans and beer at a very nice little CG in farm country just west of Bardstown Ky - apparently Bourbon country, so other pursuits are also on the agenda.

Cheers!

Head on down this way and I'll put you in contact with the fellow that did our AC work. As to if he has a compressor in stock, that's another unknown and I have no idea about his schedule. But he DOES work on RV AC units. He repaired ours. 931 510 6684 Mark's Heating & Air Conditioning.

Why you can even park in our yard, and have access to a dedicated 30A RV outlet and water. We are not too far from Bardstown KY.

Wish I was going that way. Im headed north east now en route to NH. But I do appreciate the offer. I’ll call Mark anyway, just to improve my understanding of all this.

Latest resources

Back