Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dan_Frisbie

RVF VIP
I posted a while back about occasional water inside the RV from the air con and was advised to ensure that the divider was tight and well-sealed. Both air conditioners did this occasionally.
I checked and it wasn’t. I could feel cold air on the intake side, so I taped it up and made sure (the best way that I could) that the two chambers were sealed and independent of one another. It did make an immediate difference in the temperature coming out of the vents.

The other advice that I received was to make sure that the drain outside was clear and draining freely. The Atwood units that I have do not have a drain hose, but have multiple holes in the bottom pan, so there is really nothing to clog. However, While I was up there, I made a very interesting discovery. The styrofoam chamber section is a two piece design that has the seam sealed with masking tape. Well, masking tape doesn’t really hold up that well and turns to a flaky powder after a few years (this is a 2017).
I went inside and turned both air conditioners on and then went back up and checked the seam. I could feel where is pulls air off the intake side and blows out cold air on the pressure side To the outdoors.
A few feet of aluminum tape (duct tape will eventually break down in the elements) and it is also sealed up tight on the outside of the unit.
If you have the Atwood 1511 or 1361 this might be something to check.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.jpeg
    IMG_3278.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3280.jpeg
    IMG_3280.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Same in our DS. The cold air outlet and return air inlet are few inches apart, without any effort to separate the air flow.
I tried few things to to fix it, but to do it right, will ruin the pretty looks😀.
It does looks pretty, but in practical terms is very dumb.
Me thinks🤔

Latest resources

Back