Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm at the nearest Harvest Host to the Air Force museum (Wright-Patterson AFB), about a 10 minute drive away. I realized the reason I didn't see a famcamp when route planning is maybe I didn't have a checkbox turned on but I wanted to use a Harvest Host anyways as I've been paying for it and not using it and also wanted to do some boondocking for some testing. So I'm behind a restaurant/brewery which actually has good food and brews, had lunch and dinner there. Quite the drive today in heavy rain, heinously dirty coach needed some natural rinsing but I am still wondering why I just paid all that money for a detail to immediately get dirty in Indiana??!!??!!??

Picture 4 below - got shot at by one of these monsters in Desert Storm, chased me for 63 seconds until it blew up right behind me. Haven't told too many non Air Force'ians about that!

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG
IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

Last edited:
Well that make sense now.

“It's Not The Plane, It's The Pilot.”

We went to the museum a couple years ago when i had to take the Coach to M&M Electronics. I thought the museum was fantastic! How about that 6 engine supersonic passenger plane. 😳 The B1 was also remarkable to see

It was amazing. Bucket list item for sure.

I was last there in 2011 when my SIL was almost finished at UD. My oldest was under 1 and we only got to spend about 2 hours before he got needy. We're headed up for the kids spring break and to see the eclipse in early April, I'm already planning where we'll be and when. I'm hoping to get in a good 5-6 hours of looking around, I remember the place being gigantic and there were many areas I could spend hours in each, nevermind the whole place. Being chased by a SAM sounds like a hair raising experience! Was it the flares that did their job?

I’ll bet that was a looonnngggg 63 seconds.

I remember one announcement by the CO on my first sub - collision imminent, torpedo in the water. Long story but was a real one from the other side.

Those moments definitely make you feel alive and thankful when they are over.

Glad it blew up behind you.

Was it the flares that did their job?
No, first I pickled off my 6 cluster bombs (unlucky to whomever was below) as they are so heavy I can't maneuver with them. It locked onto the cluster bombs and I thought I was home free. Nope, it locked back on to me, ugh! Then 360 bundles of chaff (we carry a lot) and that would break lock at times, but it kept coming back. I think it timed out and self detonated (lucky me). Big red cloud right behind me. Was interesting after the war flying over Kuwait and seeing the site that launched on me as they dig into the desert so pronounced you can see where all of the equipment was. Still was the most amazing and exciting time of my life (and rewarding). It was downhill from there.

Aviation Museum in Pensacola Naval air Base is PHENOMENAL!
One could spend a couple of days in those buildings! WOW!!

Thanks, I think I have a new mission for the RV to track these down. I wonder if @AdventureGenie - Scott has or can add anything for military museums, etc.??

Neal...you of all folks would have a special appreciation for it!!

Latest resources

Back