Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Any tips for identifying Toad braking installed on RV side?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

deltalawyer

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Winnebago (Itasca)
RV Model
Suncruiser
RV Length
Previous owners installed a braking system for their Toad. They don't remember where they had the work done, and they wrecked the Toad a while back. All the paperwork was in the car when they scrapped it. I want to get a system installed, but figure I'll save some expense if I go with the same system they had so that no work needs to be redone to the rv.

They used a Blue Ox tow bar, which I now have. There is a round 4-pin socket at the receiver, and they remember that a blue cable connected from there to the front of the Toad.

Any ideas of where to look on the rv side to see if I can identify what was installed?

I would look in the engine compartment for a box of some sort. If you can, check the size and color of the cable feeding the 4-pin socket and either trace it back or look for a similar cable entering the engine compartment and follow it. The easier way is to take it to a reputable RV technician and have them find it. I'll bet they would do it for free in hopes that they can install the toad half of the system for you.

Since the coach is a 2005 model, it is possible that the braking system originally installed is no longer available. It is worth a shot to see if it is, but don't be surprised if the cost is the same or more as having a complete new system installed.

TJ

Unless using Air Force One system using coach air, there would not be much to the coach side. Generally just a light/aural warning letting you know the toad brakes are on. Doubt there is much savings, I would go with what you want for toad brake system.

Howdy, I just went thru the whole process of setting up a Toad. My rig is a 2020 Greyhawk MV and my Toad is a 2021 Trailblazer RS. Most of the setup is on the Toad. I’m using an RVi brake 3. I had to have 12 VDC coming thru Toad fire wall for the brake box due to the fact that my Trailblazer owners manual directs me to disconnect the battery as the last step of setup for tow. I used a wireless breakaway. In the RV while traveling down the road, there is a 7” touchscreen that controls/monitors the brake box this item is wireless but comes with a wired repeater for longer rigs. If your not sure, look into the RVi brake 3 setup. It’s relatively simple. Good luck and happy trails!

Latest resources

Back