Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anybody else have issues dual fueling at truck pumps?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MarkMaxPayne

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire 3543
RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
I've noticed that on my 2023 Newmar New Aire that if I use both pumps to fill my diesel fuel tank, one side will overflow before the auto shutoff, spilling about a full cup or more of diesel down the side of the coach. I can fuel off the main or off the satellite pump alone with no issues, but using both at the same time doesn't end well. Anybody else have this issue or am I just the lucky one?

Thanks,
-Mark

Why would you fuel from both sides into a single tank? I have never see or heard of anyone doing this.
I've seen other Class A owners do this to fuel up much faster.

Best,
-Mark

not sure that Newmar anticipated this dual fueling routine. The vent system may need to be reengineered to allow for this type of fueling.
In my case, not in too much of a hurry to fill tank faster than a high speed pump can provide.
Actually having the DEF filler closer to the diesel filler might be nice though.

Don't do it, we don't need enough fuel to require this. The overflow thing sadly is "normal" and the only way to prevent it is listen carefully, sometimes put your ear close (not in the line of fire) or watch carefully for hints of foam to start to come out. You should know the approx number of gallons you're going to take so as you near that slow down. 9/10 times mine gushes, is what it is. I take pride in the dirtiest Newmar on the streets and still wondering why I just paid so much for a detail!

I would never fill that way..... In fact, I only use all 3 clicks on the nozzle for the first 50 or so gals because diesel has a tendency to foam up. If the windshield needs cleaning, I'll typically start with 2 clicks. The last 20 or so gals of estimated space left, I'll drop to 1 click and stand next to the opening so I can hear the gurgling to shut it off prior to it gushing out.

Why do it? by the time you get both sides set up and going, its full. I almost never put the nozzle on high flow and by the time I have cleaned the windshield and done a walk around, the tank is full. It isn't a Nascar pit stop.

Agree, why, you need a stretch anyway, walk around the rig, relax

Not sure why you would do that or how much faster you want to fill. But the second part answers your question. Slow down, these are fast flow pumps. Just because there is access on either side does not mean you should fill both sides at once. Its an alternate fill point for pump access not to win a race. In all my travels I have never once seen an "RVer" do that
I put the pump on a little slower fill rate and walk around the coach, check the toad etc. Then when I come back, if its close I slow it down even more to avoid splashback.

Latest resources

Back