Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone else having issues with their Basement compartment refer/freezer chests overheating?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
Its been quite hot everywhere I know but recently I have found that the small side of my DSX395DZ chest refer in my basement storage has had a high temp warning.
The one side was at 98 degrees the other side was sitting at 45 degrees. Today I found the same issue. I have an idea that it has to do with the fact that the unit is confined in a very well sealed and unventilated space. Has anyone had this issue with their unit? I am considering installing some vents in that space and possibly an exhaust fan with a temp switch of some kind similar to a server room exhaust fan. It can't be good for the unit's longevity being housed like that. Just another oversite it seems by what should be a premium coach builder. Thoughts??

Technically, I think you’re correct about the heat being bad for the unit long-term. The question is where to vent to. We have 2 refer/freezers that we keep in the back bay. On the last7 week trip (California to Portland toHilton Head ++) I’ve been taking temperature readings and logging several times a day. I found these two units in the summertime heat all the bays up to just about the outdoor ambient temperature 😟- as we all know it’s been very hot this year. Now in the winter time, they do the same thing in that our bays are, appreciably warmer all the time. trying to think about a venting system right now that would vent the heat out of that bay into probably the wet bay but that’s sealed too. certainly don’t want to have any critters or bugs get in. Interesting similarities to keeping a tank cool…. I suspect a liquid heat transfer system would work but power for pump …. 1st world problem for sure

I am interested in this as I sometimes run one of my AC units from battery and the inverter can heat the basement to 100 degrees…. I would like to vent it as well….

I don't think that it is terribly important to cool the storage areas but allowing for ambient air exchange would be sufficient to allow the refers to work properly. It is nice to have the bays warmer in the winter but in the summer it really bakes things down there. I will dream and scheme on this and see what I can come up with. I imagine a screened/filtered vent that can be open and closed depending on the conditions. I am thinking maybe one on the floor under the refer as an intake vent and an exit vent /blower similar to a marine bilge blower on the opposite side of the coach bays. I would put a thermostat switch on the blower to control it depending on the season and temperature.

I am interested in this as I sometimes run one of my AC units from battery and the inverter can heat the basement to 100 degrees…. I would like to vent it as well….
Yes have noticed the inverter heat too

I live in the desert SW and the basement temps are a real issue in the summer.

I know this is getting a complicated not to mention a little OCD, LOL. But this is what I did in the basement to help keep it cool.

It's an Inline fan with a temp probe and Bluetooth. It is mounted between the frame rails and exhausted out of the basement front wall.

It is set to come on automaticly at 95 deg and it does keep it from rising above that on the really hot days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230724_185126_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_185126_OneDrive.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230724_185157_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_185157_OneDrive.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230724_185227_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230724_185227_OneDrive.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 10
Much effort was spent to seal your compartments.

Quick question! How is your household refrigerator cooled???

That's right! With your hard earned AC air from your living space.

So insulate the basement compartment, and duct it to your living space!!! You guys really do over think things(maybe). Really how do you protect your pipes in the winter???

Much effort was spent to seal your compartments.

Quick question! How is your household refrigerator cooled???

That's right! With your hard earned AC air from your living space.

So insulate the basement compartment, and duct it to your living space!!! You guys really do over think things(maybe). Really how do you protect your pipes in the winter??

I don’t think this is a good idea…and would be hard to do as many folks have tile floors. It is hard to get significant ventilation to the basement…

in this case you really don’t want to compare motorhomes and houses.

Latest resources

Back