Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone have a Cruiser Lift or Hydra Lift on a Class A Gas?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ezyrider202

RVF Regular
Hello All, Happy Friday.

I've been screwing around with this for too long, agonizing, in fact. I need to move on, literally. But I am not going anywhere until I come to a resolution and feel comfortable with it.

I'm in a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 TGA. Love it. It's a gas coach, almost 35 ft long. I also have a 2016 Dyna Harley Street Bob. Weighs about 750 lbs. Love it too. Wherever I go, it's coming with me. Don't have a car.

I have been vacillating between mounting a Hydra Lift or a Cruiser Lift, OR getting a small trailer. I much prefer one of the 1000 lb rated carriers over using a trailer, which seems like it would be a pain for me in almost every way. I'm a newbie with about six hours behind the wheel; I am disinclined to attempt to learn how to maneuver a trailer, especially in tight spaces, at the same time I'm riding a steep learning curve simply driving my coach.

I've done too much research trying to make this choice, and I've become overwhelmed and indecisive. There are two sides to the issue, and I keep flip flopping. Generally speaking:

THE ADVICE AGAINST: If you have a gas coach, just don't do it. The rear of the chassis wasn't designed to bear the additional weight, as is the case with a diesel pusher. Plus, the additional weight in the back axle will screw up your steering. Beyond that, if I really want to knock myself out, there is a complicated (to me) set of calculations one must make in order to determine if the rear axle can bear the weight. I failed Algebra 1 in High School. Twice. Only passed Geometry as a sophomore because the teacher felt sorry for me. Not looking for sympathy, just saying.

THE ADVICE IN FAVOR: "You'll be fine. It will be installed by welding a three point hitch to hold it up. I've gone ten thousand miles with my GoldWing on the back without a single problem."

>>>Is there anyone driving a Class A coach with direct experience using a Hydra or Cruiser lift with a heavy bike? Or anyone who does installations to offer their perspective?<<<

Ps: What They're Sayin'--- Tiffin's advice was "could cause problems," an answer that sounds like a corporate cover your butt response as opposed to deliberate advice. Hydra Lift seems agnostic, and Cruiser Lift waves a bright yellow flag on Class A gas models with language that looks like it comes from the legal department. Dealers and repair shops are split. I've seen no news accounts of accidents involving either lift. Is there anyone who has?

Thanks,
Ezyrider202

I failed Algebra 1 in High School. Twice.
But my friend...I bet you aced English. Your above plea was well written and conveyed your dilemma perfectly. I hope you get some good answers here (sorry I can't help you). Thanks for the morning chuckle ?

Get a trailer for the bike. Fully protected from weather, plus additional storage.

Tow a pickup truck and carry the bike in the bed of the truck.

We use a Hydralift on our 2015 Ventana LE 3636 and like yourself, had the same questions. Here is the link I started to ask questions with. It includes the calculations to make sure it works for your application. With our coach fully loaded (clothes, fuel, water, food) with the motorcycle on the lift we still came in more than 1000 lbs under GVW and axle weight. The coach handles the same with or without the bike on the lift.

5A94997A-6671-4A13-A2D4-ECE975041418.jpeg

Last edited:
I do not have a gas class A, but I do have two diesel pushers. I carry a KLR650 on the front of my 99 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Works great. On my other coach, a 2005 Newmar Essex, I just had a Hydralift installed 2 weeks ago.

The product itself is extremely well put together. I dropped mine off in Blythe, CA at their shop for the installation. While they did an OK job installing it, there were things that made me scratch my head.

First, the welds look like Ray Charles welded it with his feet. The wiring was an abortion. Lots of duct tape, splice wires, not professional at all. Looks like someone rushed through the installation, which I definitely think happened.

Anyhow, they had it for 2 days and it cost me $8000 installed. It holds my 2005 Goldwing with no problem. It's a stout lift. I'm going to tow my Chevy 2500 behind it.

I didn't even look at the cruiser lift.

Sounds like they really messed up the install but I think once you get it up and running you will love the lift. I still have the one I took off of my VLE. It's been very hard trying to find a new owner. If anyone is looking for one please let me know.

What are the details of your lift? Asking price? How old is it?

Someone just called me about it. It's a Hydralift. Holds up to 1000lbs. In very good condition. Im selling it for around $2500.

Attachments

• FFCAA9A6-F243-4E40-AD5E-2F905D81722D.jpeg
    FFCAA9A6-F243-4E40-AD5E-2F905D81722D.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
I would weigh your coach fully loaded and see how close you are to your max. weight, before considering adding that much weight.

Latest resources

Back