Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Answered Are equalizer jack pads supposed to be loose/move?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
Ok, after nearly five years, I'm thinking I just never noticed, because my leveler jacks are usually stowed or down.

A couple weeks ago, at a rest area out walking the dogs, I thought one of my jack pads was tilted a bit. I was thinking maybe it was loose, but it was hot and we needed to get back on the road, so I figured I would check it at the next stop (and hope it didn't fall off on the drive). When I got to the RV park, I lowered the front jacks part way and the pad seemed very loose. I quickly realized I had no tools to tighten the nut on the bottom (have since read it takes a 1/2" hex, which I've ordered to keep in RV). It wasn't obvious that the screw/bolt in the bottom was loose, but again, could only check with my fingers, so am still not 100% sure.

I then went to the other side, and found the driver side also had a loose-fitting pad, which it then occurred to me is probably the design, which is to let the pad float a bit to contour to uneven ground. Is this correct? The pads on the equalizer, even when the bolt is tight, have quite a bit of movement?

Picture?

It wouldn't hurt to get under and jiggle them, I've heard of them coming off but that was HWH I think. I'm not sure if they are designed to flex to align with the ground.

When stowed, they look perfectly square and you would think solidly fixed. If partially extended, the pads on both of my fronts (didn't try with the back), effectively rock on a what appears to be a curved surface on the bottom of the piston. More than a jiggle, they will move up and down (the pad, not whole piston) about 1/4", and as a result, and rock in every direction. As I never before paid attention to my jacks partially extended, I don't know if this "loose fit" is normal, and was curious if others with equalizer systems have looked at their jacks when partially extended.

I have snappads on mine, never noticed any movement but I would imagine swivel is possibly the design. Do they all do it or just one? If all then I wouldn't worry.

I have snappads on mine, never noticed any movement but I would imagine swivel is possibly the design. Do they all do it or just one? If all then I wouldn't worry.
Front two, didn't check the jack. I went ahead and emailed equalizer, as I was also curious if there is a torque spec for tightening/checking tightness.

It's possible it's a design, but unless you have them part down, and one happens to be a bit off, it's easy to never notice (whether from being loose if they are, or design).

I've had snap pads and a bluetooth controller for mine for a couple years and haven't gotten around to install either (planned to install the bluetooth controller first, so I could move the jacks from outside when installing). Think that will be a project for sometime in the next couple weeks.

Just came from Newmar Home World and asked the same question. They said that was fine. I even bought an impact drill to try to tighten then (per Equalizer). They did not budge. When retracted there is no wobble. But lots when partially down.

Just came from Newmar Home World and asked the same question. They said that was fine. I even bought an impact drill to try to tighten then (per Equalizer). They did not budge. When retracted there is no wobble. But lots when partially down.
Ok, must be the design. Since normally we see them fully retracted or down, it's easy to never notice how much they move.

It would make sense to allow some play in the pad as CG Pads are rarely perfect and square to rig. A little play would reduce angle torque on plate.

I'm still waiting on email reply from Equalizer, but I also just bought an impact drill last week, as it was recommended as the tool of choice to break up auger jams on a pellet grill. I had asked, in my email, about a torque value, so it will be interesting if they give me one, or recommend tightening with impact drill.

They told me to tighten with impactdrill, but it would not tighten any further. Newmar just serviced the jacks and said they were fine.

Latest resources

Back