RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 JLUR Diesel
Driving I40 though New Mexico today. It’s been windy, reported gusts up to 50mph. I was well under the speed limit and just about through New Mexico when the slide topper cover starting banging in the wind.
Mobile tech called, won’t be here for hours, parked at a closed restaurant
My question- please see the attached photo. I am wondering if that hook coming undone could be the issue? Could it be road repairable? The tech was reluctant but agreed that he would at least get the thing secured.
All comments/ideas welcome
IMG_4053.jpeg

I'm having a hard time seeing the issue. Have you tried extending and then retracting the slide?

I'm having a hard time seeing the issue. Have you tried extending and then retracting the slide?
Neil, I haven’t tried that - concerned I might dig an ever bigger hole!
See the photo - I am guessing this is at least part of the problem circled in red
IMG_4053.jpeg

This is perhaps the same as the ‘dreaded day’ post so I’m going to give it a try
Thread 'Dreaded Day'
Dreaded Day

I put the slide out until the bracket released and then brought it back in. Problem solved, for now. I’m gonna get a case of these buggers installed when I go to Nappanee this month! Thanks!

I put the slide out until the bracket released and then brought it back in. Problem solved, for now. I’m gonna get a case of these buggers installed when I go to Nappanee this month! Thanks!
That's what I did. I put 3 on the FWS and 1 each on the passenger side slide outs. Other wise it is just magnets that hold them down.

On that bracket there should be a rubber foot that goes against the cover, Newmar is good about not tightening the screw that holds it on enough to engage the NiLock nut.
Also it’s worth calling Girard and purchasing two more assemblies and add one to the front of the FWS cover about 6 inches back and add one to the front of the kitchen slide cover also 6 inches back.
The covers stay down magnetically the wind gets under the covers and makes them lift

Picture of bracket missing Rubber In this picture rubber would be on right side of bracket facing motorhome

Attachments

• IMG_4941.png
    IMG_4941.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 12
When you get the replacement make sure to tighten the screw so you see treads past the NyLock nut

As for your original question, I would be very surprised if the tech has one, you could lift the cover to the other side of the bracket and tape something between the cover and bracket, tape to bracket
Girard is in So Cal if your traveling that direction

Latest resources

Back