Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Are you using Pepwave SpeedFusion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich-MLsRV

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I am curious if anyone is using SpeedFusion and why you are using it?

I would use it for the bonding capability. Currently I am not using SpeedFusion.

I’ve thought about setting it up a couple of times but have never been able to muster a strong enough will.

I used it for the Trial period and let it lapse.

Honestly, I just don’t feel the need for speed enough to pay the rent for that service. Running simple balancing seems to work fine.

I used it for the Trial period and let it lapse.

Honestly, I just don’t feel the need for speed enough to pay the rent for that service. Running simple balancing seems to work fine.
How do you do simple balancing? I thought basic functionality is to use one sim card or the other which is what I am doing now.

How do you do simple balancing? I thought basic functionality is to use one sim card or the other which is what I am doing now.
If you have a single cell modem version like the Max, then yes, you’ll only be able to have one cell connection active, despite having two SIM slots.

However, I have the Transit DUO which has TWO modems. So, I use 2 SIM cards and place both Cell 1 and Cell 2 into The Priority 1 group. The Transit will do standard balancing which you can also set up and customize in the Advanced section.

If you have a single cell modem version like the Max, then yes, you’ll only be able to have one cell connection active, despite having two SIM slots.

However, I have the Transit DUO which has TWO modems. So, I use 2 SIM cards and place both Cell 1 and Cell 2 into The Priority 1 group. The Transit will do standard balancing which you can also set up and customize in the Advanced section.
Thanks - I have the MAX so single modem. I should have considered the Transit DUO.

Thanks - I have the MAX so single modem. I should have considered the Transit DUO.
Not sure I agree with that reasoning. Are you going to get better performance out of your CAT 18 or a DUO with speed fusion?

In response to the OP, I am not using Speed Fusion. Primary reason is I don't know enough about it. Secondary as to why I haven't pursued it is I think it's not really for our type of use (refer back to Primary reason, I don't know what I'm talking about prior to reading on). I typically have one good cellular provider and one not so good. I can use Speed Fusion, I believe, as I have multiple Pepwaves, I'm not sure if it requires a single device (refer to PR). We already struggle with cellular as it is, now I'm going to use a VPN (slight degradation in connection) to go to a 3rd party server, to aggregate my connections, return some connection back to me, how is this going to affect the struggling service I already experience?

Maybe @docj can enlighten us on the pro's and con's of Speed Fusion from a RVer use case?

Maybe @docj can enlighten us on the pro's and con's of Speed Fusion from a RVer use case?

Let me begin my response with a statement that I work for WiFiRanger and we don't yet offer the equivalent of Speed Fusion. Basically, for connection bonding to work properly you need to combine your multiple internet connections so they can be "stitched together" effectively creating a connection, the speed of which is roughly the sum of the speeds of the multiple inputs. Usually this is done "in the cloud" although it can also be done in hardware.

However, all WiFiRanger routers do have the capability of Load Balancing (LB). Even though LB doesn't increase the absolute speed of your connections, by having multiple "pipes" going to the internet you can actually get more data transmitted in a period of time. Think of it as having parallel water hoses; together they can flow more water than any single hose.

Before anyone asks, how does this help me stream video, let me explain that video streaming doesn't work the way most of us might envision. The video data doesn't come to you as a continuous stream where the order of the data bits has to be preserved. It actually is more of a bucket-filling exercise where the objective is to keep water in a bucket while some of it drains out a hole in the bottom. As long as you can get more water in than flows out, you can keep the video stream going. Here's a simple blog I wrote on this subject: How Load Balancing Makes Netflix and Chill Better - WiFiRanger

I currently use four cellular internet connections combined in a Load Balancing router. Some streaming services do a better job of utilizing the multiple streams than do others. Netflix is the best of the group in my experience. You can usually stream on Netflix with some pretty poor connections.

All this having been said, I'm confident that sooner or later WiFiRanger will offer some form of connection bonding, but it will be a while before it is offered to the public.

I hope this makes things reasonably understandable. I'd be glad to answer questions if anyone has them.

I'm looking at buying the Transit Duo-12 also. So you're saying I don't have to pay the $199/yr to be able to have a sim card in each modem and have them automatically balance the cell connection? I'm not even sure we need the dual modem version but it's hardly any more money for the second modem and seems to do a lot more. I actually think a single modem with 2 sim cards doing an automatic fail over would work. However, my wife is doing medical coding and must meet a minimum number of charges per day so she can't afford to have any down time with the cell connection. This is why I'm going with the Transit duo with 2 cat 12 modems. Am I on the right track here? I'm in way over my head technologically. :oops:

I'm looking at buying the Transit Duo-12 also. So you're saying I don't have to pay the $199/yr to be able to have a sim card in each modem and have them automatically balance the cell connection? I'm not even sure we need the dual modem version but it's hardly any more money for the second modem and seems to do a lot more. I actually think a single modem with 2 sim cards doing an automatic fail over would work. However, my wife is doing medical coding and must meet a minimum number of charges per day so she can't afford to have any down time with the cell connection. This is why I'm going with the Transit duo with 2 cat 12 modems. Am I on the right track here? I'm in way over my head technologically. :oops:
Yes. Correct, you don’t need the SF sub in order to use both SIMS/Modems simultaneously. Let’s not get too technical with advanced features and just leave it at that.

The HUGE benefit to the Transit DUO with DUAL modems is that BOTH will be connected full time. This means you’ll never have to wait for any changeover as you wood with a single modem with dual slots. That process takes a minimum of 2 minutes.

Latest resources

Back