Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Are you using Pepwave SpeedFusion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am not sure that 2 sims in priority 1 is doing any actual “load balancing”. From my understanding, it’s more of a round robin, which some might call load balancing but it really isn’t. It’s just alternating load.

my understanding so far has been that with two sims in priority 1, requests from clients connected to the modem/router will just be alternated between each modem. The result is that if you have a great or good connection on one modem and a terrible connection in the other, you’re actually more likely to degrade your service than improve it. I have experienced this myself operating both AT&T and TMobile in priority one and getting worse performance than just leaving the better connection in priority one and the worse connection in priority two.

To my knowledge, standard load balancing without any additional configuration does not actually test the connections to determine speed, latency or signal while also monitoring its sibling modem for load and thus determine what type of request is most appropriate for which connection. If it did, that would be proper load balancing.

I am not sure that 2 sims in priority 1 is doing any actual “load balancing”. From my understanding, it’s more of a round robin, which some might call load balancing but it really isn’t. It’s just alternating load.

my understanding so far has been that with two sims in priority 1, requests from clients connected to the modem/router will just be alternated between each modem. The result is that if you have a great or good connection on one modem and a terrible connection in the other, you’re actually more likely to degrade your service than improve it. I have experienced this myself operating both AT&T and TMobile in priority one and getting worse performance than just leaving the better connection in priority one and the worse connection in priority two.

To my knowledge, standard load balancing without any additional configuration does not actually test the connections to determine speed, latency or signal while also monitoring its sibling modem for load and thus determine what type of request is most appropriate for which connection. If it did, that would be proper load balancing.
OK. So for us Computer Dummies...............are you saying that I would be better off getting the Cat-18 with 1 modem and 2 sim cards and let the router fail over to the second card if the dominant card is in a bad area that day? I'm probably never going to have 4 sim cards. I'm going to try to find one good "unlimited" plan with no throttling (if I can afford it) and then use a pre-paid card with 100 GB (again if I can afford it) as a back up. Would the single modem Cat-18 be better than the dual modem Cat-12's if that's how I'm going to do it? My wife MUST have a solid dependable cell service to do her job on the road. It needs to be as good as it is at home if possible. Secondarily, I'd also like to use this to be able to watch TV without worrying too much about throttling and GB limits. We don't leave the TV on all the time but if a 4 hour football game comes on that I want to watch I want to be able to watch it!!

ANY first hand ideas or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would recommend getting the latest and greatest as of TODAY and that's the 5G Max Transit which I think is CAT 20? I have 2 x CAT 18 Max Transits and would not change a thing, other than not needing two for most use cases. I'm running 3 pepwaves as we speak, 3rd is using the T-Mobile sim. Otherwise it was sitting under the bed not being used, it does a great job as well. In Big Timber, MT it saved my bacon in a very rural area. Verizon was the only life in the area.

I would recommend getting the latest and greatest as of TODAY and that's the 5G Max Transit which I think is CAT 20? I have 2 x CAT 18 Max Transits and would not change a thing, other than not needing two for most use cases. I'm running 3 pepwaves as we speak, 3rd is using the T-Mobile sim. Otherwise it was sitting under the bed not being used, it does a great job as well. In Big Timber, MT it saved my bacon in a very rural area. Verizon was the only life in the area.
So you don't think we need the dual modem deal? A single modem with 2 cards will give us solid cell service?

Another thing I'm not sure of..........if we go the dual modem route and had an unlimited plan card in priority one slot in modem #1 and a prepaid 100 GB card of another brand in priority 1 in modem #2...........it appears that people are saying that BOTH cards would be active all the time and the router would switch back and forth all day "balancing" the load. So, wouldn't I use up the limited GB's on the second card and then be stuck using just the unlimited card in modem #1? This is why I'm considering the single modem and just letting it fail over to the limited GB card in slot #2 if it needs to. I don't have Neal's money and can't afford to run 3 Peplink machines with 2 cards in every machine. I'm on a budget here!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So you don't think we need the dual modem deal? A single modem with 2 cards will give us solid cell service?
In my opinion, take it or leave it, you will find one cellular provider better than the other at your location and that is the one you'll use and stay with. Rarely do I switch once I establish which is best for the location. At times I do put both in Priority 1 but I think there is a problem with how Pepwave chooses which is best, it's never worked well for me in making the correct choice. Go for the unit that will give you the fastest speeds and the best reach in remote areas, that as far as I understand is CAT 18 (or better) with 4 x 4 MIMO.

I have not owned a Pepwave with 2 cellular radios in it. All of mine have had 2 x SIM slots with one radio. I buy separate units and connect them via ethernet cable to get the same net effect, in my case I have 2 x CAT 18 setups. I run a software biz, I have a different need than most. For most RVers one unit is sufficient with one radio IMHO.

I have not owned a Pepwave with 2 cellular radios in it. All of mine have had 2 x SIM slots with one radio. I buy separate units and connect them via ethernet cable to get the same net effect, in my case I have 2 x CAT 18 setups. I run a software biz, I have a different need than most. For most RVers one unit is sufficient with one radio IMHO.
Thanks Neal! I appreciate the advice. Never having used this equipment I'm flying blind here.

Now if I can only figure out the sim card nightmare!! :rolleyes:

I think @Neal is right in the money. For most, a single modem unit is just fine.

a two modem unit comes in handy when you want reliability, as one connection can fail and the other picks it up - but that’s only if both are actually working.

neal’s set up comes in handy when you need speed AND reliability.

When I started with Pepwaves in 2018 is was more cost effective to buy two single modem units vs. one with two radios. Things have changed since then. I would not give up 4 x 4 MIMO to go with 2 radios.

This old thread seems like the best place to post this comment.

I have a really nice setup, using a 5G peplink Router, and the following sources

* Local Sim (Either AT&T or TMobile--5G)
* 5G Hotspot plugged in via Ethernet
* Local Campground Wifi when Traveling
* 100MB Dedicated internet at my Montana Property
* Starlink Internet

These sources are all great, and would be even better if they were bonded with Speed Fusion.

I discovered today that Speedfusion is now free--with unlimited bandwidth---with one caveat. You must provide a server for it to run.

This is a great benefit for me, as I have the servers. By running the connections via SPeedFusion to my Datacenter, I get the benefit of bypassing bandwidth restrictions placed by ISP on video streaming, and the stability of multiple providers.

For those that do not have your own server, you can get one from several providers for less than $6.00 month.

I would strongly suggest others look into this. The product is called FusionHub Solo.

Latest resources

Back