Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Are you using Pepwave SpeedFusion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@redbaron I'm struggling to understand this. From what I can find FusionHub Solo is for one Peplink device. What if you have two Pepwaves such as me?

I also don't understand the bonding. Let's say as I have AT&T and Verizon, one may be and usually is better than the other. How does the weak player play into the equation and help in any way over a connection to the strongest source?

It seems you need some type of virtualization to install this so it must be a self-contained OS? Not sure if I could install this straight onto a Windows server without the need for Hyper-V, which I have but prefer not dividing up existing server resources, or Ubuntu server I also have.

With a single pepwave with one radio per pepwave, I'm trying to figure out how this works. I assume it's going to bond WAN connections so any WAN you can add to the mix will "bond" but again, just curious how this benefits my speed over the strongest WAN provider.

If a license is required, where do you get it? Even if free? Is this restricted to one Pepwave?

I believe there are different terms at play here. SpeedFusion and FusionHub?

Edit: reading the docs, I see VirtualBox would be an option which I've used before.

Last edited:
Some random answers, while I am still learning:

* WAN connections are bonded. A weak player is ignored, as the packet is going to use the stronger path. This is per packet, which is genius.

WIth Per packet transmission, you can have a stream utilizing every connection you have, which is stiched together by the endpoints, being your Peplink and the Fusion on the other end. They don't care how they arrive, and they ensure the packets do arrive and in order.

This is very similar to how torrent works, with the exception of packet order being guaranteed.

All packets are sent utilizing an ensured delivery protocol, similar to TCP, and different than UDP. This means even UDP packets are guaranteed to transmit between endpoints, which is not typical. Allowing UDP packets to split paths is a unique feature of speedfusion.

I have TMobile, with 140MB bandwidth. Without speedfusion, my streaming is limited to 480P. With speedfusion, I get 4K streaming without glitch, and utilizing only TMobile.

* This is a VPN, which changes your source IP address.

* Another benefit -- I can switch my source to be Canada, and get different TV Shows on Netflix than when in the US.

By adding AT&T to my peplink, located in a MR5200 Hotspot and connected via 1Gbs Ethernet to the WAN port of my Peplink BR1 Pro 5G, I have 2 providers of 5G that are bonded in the single tunnel.

While driving, TMobile may go out or AT&T may go out, but my connection stays on as long as one of these providers is operational.

* Speeds vary as the providers speeds vary.

* When at the campground, I add a 3rd source of internet, the campground Wifi as Wan. That connection is added to the bond, increasing available bandwidth.

* I have observed the following speed. TMobile - 140Mb/s, AT&T 87Mb/s, Campground 12Mb/s. My client speed test shows 212Mb/s, and fast.com shows 212Mb/s.

****NOTE ON SPEEDTEST***
A new understanding of why speedtest.com vs fast.com show such different numbers. Many providers implement streaming savers, which reduce speed when streaming videos.

Speedtest.com acts like a web browser, downloading files or images.
Fast.com acts like Netflix -- streaming video.

Comparing these two is essential if you want to know what kind of network management is being implemented, as the first stage is limiting streaming.

With speedfusion, they 2 should report very close to identical.

Without speedfusion, I was getting 4.5Mbs from fast.com on T-Mobile, and 140Mb/s from speedtest.net. That shows how much limitation T-Mobile was doing on my connections.

**Regarding requirements:
You want a hosted server. I have VMWare farms throughout the US, so its easy for me. For the vast majority of you (everyone except @Neal ), You would need to order a server preconfigured. This would cost you $5.00/month.

I will post a few howto's and details once I research this more.

To get the license, you have to go to Incontrol, and add a license. It is free, but limited to 1 connection per server. I have 10 Fusion servers spaced in major cities. The thought process is I would connect to the city geographically closest to me, as that will reduce latency. There is no charge for this, but only 1 peer can connect at a time.

So what if you have 2 Peplinks?

The answer is -- setup 2 servers, or stack your peplinks. Have the 2nd one feed your primary via the ethernet WAN, and show up as an additional provider.

That is all I have so far, still doing a lot of work to understand. Feel free to ask more.

I read the docs and it makes more sense. I'll likely set it up and give it a try for my trip starting July 1st. You'll obviously have to maintain an InControl subscription where our 1st year is free. Looks like that's cheap at around $30/year if I read correctly at 5Gstore.com.

FusionHub is installed on the server. FYI it required a Firmware update, odd as I just downloaded it! So if you haven't checked your Hub for firmware updates you may want to do so from the System menu.

Need to check a few more things such as firewall config as mine is behind my firewall. Then learn to setup the Pepwaves.

Thanks for the nudge to learn this and for another day's loss on what I was supposed to be doing :)

Edit: Firmware update never completes. Not sure what's going on there.

Last edited:
One more simple quick note about Bonding, @Neal and @redbaron

It also provides redundancy which, for critical data transfer, is where it’s true value come into play.

And let lest we not forget Carrier Aggregation! New topic. 🤪

@redbaron I'm just about setup on both endpoints, I used the dynamic bonding as it says that's more for cellular. May have to compare configs someday but I won't really be able to test this until I hit the road but will head to the RV in the next week or so and do some tests.

This is way cool! I'm all setup via InControl and from the video below learned about some tests you can do. Peplink has done an amazing job with this stuff. Absolutely loving these Pepwaves! Thanks again @redbaron, I've avoided this as I typically don't need a VPN for my work and wonder if it's going to yield slower speeds in the end. That is still to be determined but Peplink has some nice tools to test.

I am concerned the speed hit this may take. Will be interested testing when I hit the road.

I am using dynamic right now myself.

I am seeing a very stable connection with carrier aggregation.

@Neal - regarding firmware. I had to reboot the VM and then reapply the firmware update from Incontrol. It finally updated after a few minutes.

First - that's awesome, glad you have everything all setup and can enjoy your coach and all the tech.

While off topic for this thread what you describe is a failure by Newmar or a PDI failure. As a software developer (me) if I write an app that requires peers to help someone figure out the software, fix something I didn't do properly, etc. etc. then I failed.

Any customer of a coach should be able to use everything that comes with it without assistance. There should be guides on how to configure anything/everything in the coach without having to call Newmar, your dealer, or peers. Today's method of training is YouTube, the old day were paper guides. This is where Newmar and/or dealers need to capitalize on feedback such as above, that should be communicated to them, and address with proper training (YouTube videos) to help others. While you're all set, how many other owners are not using the full potential of their coach? You and others please provide feedback so when the next person purchases their dream machine, they can enjoy it too. It may and likely will fall on deaf ears, but we all have to try.

Wait for the invoice, it's all great now, don't open the mail! @redbaron ain't cheap

Edit: Maybe @redbaron could consider making YouTube videos to help others like he did with yours

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back