Adventurer
RV Length
Chassis
Chevy P30
Engine
454 Vortac
Fulltimer
Yes
The engine cooling heat transfer feature on this water heater works, the switch works, I can see sparks when the switch is turned on, it just won't ignite, I checked the tube for obstructions there are none and no nests in the the exhausts, the propane tank valve is open to full, checked burners and flow is fine, is there a valve on the water heater itself that could be closed, if not what would be causing this?

it can take a while for propane to make it to the unit.

Can you smell propane? Does the flame of your lighter get displaced by the flow of gas/ air through the pipe? I never want to seem an expert because so often makes/ models/ years change the way it works...

My first thought is that your not heating the igniter valve sufficiently. There's a valve (meant to keep the gas from leaking out if the pilot goes out) that must get and stay hot or the gas shuts off. We fought mightily when our Outdoors RV was new, finding the "sweet spot" to get that valve hot enough it would stay open. First instinct was to light the gas port/ pilot light., but it just wouldn't go, then once lit we'd move the lighter away and... nothing. Very frustrating.

If all seems well, maybe have a friend or someone experienced or at a dealer give it a try - once you know how, it's like riding a unicycle. :)

Can you smell propane? Does the flame of your lighter get displaced by the flow of gas/ air through the pipe? I never want to seem an expert because so often makes/ models/ years change the way it works...

My first thought is that your not heating the igniter valve sufficiently. There's a valve (meant to keep the gas from leaking out if the pilot goes out) that must get and stay hot or the gas shuts off. We fought mightily when our Outdoors RV was new, finding the "sweet spot" to get that valve hot enough it would stay open. First instinct was to light the gas port/ pilot light., but it just wouldn't go, then once lit we'd move the lighter away and... nothing. Very frustrating.

If all seems well, maybe have a friend or someone experienced or at a dealer give it a try - once you know how, it's like riding a unicycle. :)
No can't smell any propane, there is no flame only about 3-4 sparks, I think I need to get past the spark point before any of the other applies, I might have to get a repair tech on it.

Does your water heater have a pilot light, or a piezo-electric ignition. From your description of “sparks,” it would seem to be the latter. If so, the gas valve is likely faulty. It is supposed to open just long enough for the burner to light and heat the thermocouple. If the burner does not light and keep the thermocouple heated, the burner will go out.

Since you don’t seem to be getting even a brief lighting of the burner, it would appear that either the gas valve or the thermocouple has failed. Both are relatively common issues.

I would try heating the thermocouple with a small, propane/butane BBQ lighter to see of the burner activates (do it carefully, please). Look for a closed-end tube/bulb with a small tube leading away from it. If heating it does not cause the burner to ignite, I would strongly suspect a failed gas valve.

TJ

Did a search and found a manual for that heater: Atwood GH6-8E Manuals | ManualsLib Trouble shooting is there for both the pilot and DSI models. Which one do you have? They are different to troubleshoot.........

Last edited:
Have someone turn on the heater while you listen for and feel the gas solenoid click. If you can't feel and hear the solenoid click then the solenoid or board is faulty.

Well maybe. Have you checked the batteries voltage?

Did a search and found a manual for that heater: Atwood GH6-8E Manuals | ManualsLib Trouble shooting is there for both the pilot and DSI models. Which one do you have? They are different to troubleshoot.........
I believe since he mentioned seeing/hearing a series of sparks, he has the DSI version.

TJ

I believe since he mentioned seeing/hearing a series of sparks, he has the DSI version.

TJ
I believe you are correct, but with all the mention of a pilot, sometimes it's somewhat difficult to determine what they actually have. That's why I asked.

Thanks for the manual, given that that it’s a electronic igniter, would it still be advised to heat the thermocouple, or does the E.C.O. have to be replaced?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back