• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Autofill did not auto shutoff!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I emailed Newmar and they said it's not fused and it's likely dead. New valve comes Wednesday AM so I figured I'd take a break and have some "fun" and at least start some removal. I figured this would be "easy" as it looks like there are just two bolts holding the hose reel in. NO, there are two in the back! How did Newmar install these? With some power whining I got all four out. So then you'd think the reel would just slide out? NOOOO, it doesn't fit between the panel and floor rim. So I removed a few screws from the panel and it was able to flex enough. Studied the wires and cut them, removed the reel.

Waiting on parts and scuba gear, follow-up when part 2 is ready to share.

IMG_4552.JPG
IMG_4553.JPG

Why are certain things so hard to service? I remember reading someone saying they had replaced their oasis water pump 3-4 times recently. One time was enough for me to try to perform acrobatic maneuvers lying in the basement bay. I probably hit my head three times and took some skin off one or both of my hands. For those who remember TJ, he said to enjoy a nice adult beverage after. More like a 12-pack to get over the emotional and physical trauma I suffered. Just saying. Can't wait to see @Neal using his seal team rebreather with a wetsuit on putting the autofill back in.

Yeah, as I'm at end of trip T-minus one week remaining all I could think today was I'm selling the plane and RV and never leaving my house. I'm tired of fixing things. Joking of course but I'm blaming it on the recent birthday, seems like I jumped 10 years and I have the flexibility of an I-beam now!

You like to complicate things Neal. Every time I read your modifications, my head hurts. Never heard of KISS formula?
BTW, since you are already in there, maybe you should install a inline fuse. If the valve seizes internally, it will blow the fuse instead frying the electric driver.
Me thinks🤔

Well Neal, you'll have gone through all the systems in your Newmar by the end of your trips. Electifying some of the valves is handy until it doesn't work, so be prepared.

I checked with @Chuggs for any ideas and he told me his 2016 doesn't have autofill. Not sure how long and which coaches have this. Maybe we're learning how long to expect these valves to work. I'm still curious how I'm going to get in to change it out, it sure would be easier with the board off. It's not a necessity and I can rotate the red piece at the top which I assume is turning the valve so as long as I can close it that's good enough. We'll see when the new one comes Wednesday and then call it done for this trip!

UPS delivered the order early, wasn't due until tomorrow. It looks a little beefier than the one Newmar used so I was wondering if I didn't get the 12V version, but I did. Without going into detail of all the testing I did before the swap, it was quite educational and I understand how this works with autofill essentially turning on a relay which sends power to the valve which is normally closed so when it's energized it opens. The old valve had power as I could hear it click but didn't close, it was stuck open. So it was not an electrical issue, it was a failed valve. I tried disassembling it to look inside and was surprised how loose the screws were which Newmar separates these to install their mount, someone didn't tighten it very well.

Good thing I have a PEX crimping tool and the clamps from my wet bay work, while hose clamps which I also have would work it's nice to use the PEX clamps as Newmar used. All in all wasn't that hard, the hardest part was getting the hose reel out. Valve is replaced and tested, all reassembled and this saga is closed. Good lessons learned and glad to be able to fix this myself as it would be an expensive job to have someone or Newmar replace this.

I'll continue to monitor but it was a good lesson learned that if you leave city water on things can happen as did to me. Fortunately our fresh tanks have an overflow. I remember my stop in Amarillo and my neighbor was gone and I had just setup and saw water gushing out of his coach and I turned the city water off and then they returned. Something to consider...learn from others.

In the past I discussed having the ability from inside the coach to turn off city water so I could control use of the fresh tank vs. city water such as cycling the fresh tank water out. Yeah, easy enough to just go outside and turn off city water but this asco valve is probably what I need if I want to put a rocker switch inside to turn off city water. I would want one normally OPEN instead of normally closed so that without power it allows flow. I'll see if I can find one. New mod in the making :)

In the past I discussed having the ability from inside the coach to turn off city water so I could control use of the fresh tank vs. city water such as cycling the fresh tank water out. Yeah, easy enough to just go outside and turn off city water but this asco valve is probably what I need if I want to put a rocker switch inside to turn off city water. I would want one normally OPEN instead of normally closed so that without power it allows flow. I'll see if I can find one. New mod in the making :)
@Neal you might consider one of these . I'm considering them for a DI water tank I'm considering.

Thanks. You may want to consider one with 3/4" fittings, typical with garden hose type setups. I searched Amazon for solenoid valves 3/4 inch normally open and found options as well. Have to think through if this is something I really want to do. Something that could be controlled with Alexa would be nice too :) I need to learn raspberry pi programming, have one at the house waiting to be tinkered with. Another one is hooked up to my 3D printer.

Latest resources

Back