Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
To maximize storage space my goal is to take advantage of wasted space which is the area above storage areas in the basement that typically can't be used. As I recently installed a Dometic CF-80 cooler as outlined in this thread I wanted to add a shelf for the space above it as many have done by Newmar. I already had the Hafele garage storage strips along the wall so I did have some storage in use in the higher area but with the Dometic cooler displacing my 3 drawer toolbox I needed to relocate some tools. The other area fit for a shelf is the bay just forward of the pegboard, for my setup at least. This is also where I decided to put my new low profile toolboxes that now hold the tools that came out of the 3 drawer tool storage system. The third area fit for a shelf for upper storage is on the driver's side of the pass through bay. The problem though preventing me from being able to put a shelf in here is the HWH Active Air system board is wall mounted in a way that will obstruct mounting a shelf. Having the solar charge controller and array of its goodies just makes the location of things difficult so no shelf there.

I'd love to see your shelf mods. My setup is temporary until I get home to my full wood shop and the Newmar basement carpet I ordered for this future project. I used 1/2" MDF which looks like is not going to be sufficient for the weight needed from the toolboxes so I'm likely going to use 3/4" plywood when I do the final install. I also put a piece of trim that's about 3/4" tall on the front to form a lip so things can't slide off. Basic angle brackets secure the sides. I was able to go under the central vac system and attach to the board it mounts to on the forward side of that bay.

Looking forward to learning from others that have done basement shelving mods.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F85JFV4/?tag=rvf01-20

FYI - I bought this compact circular saw for my project while traveling. I was impressed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TMJGP2/?tag=rvf01-20

I took the easy approach.

The rear brackets (bottom photo) clamp to the inside lip of the frame rail. Might not work on the FL frame rail, I don't know.

Having a milling machine at the at the S&B is nice for projects like this.

TJ

I think the star foundation is the same on all of our coaches, that's the Newmar part I believe. The chassis is below that. Interesting option and certainly won't sag.

And, the shelving is straight out of Home Depot.

TJ

Since I like wood working … naturally I used wood to do mine. Here is what I came up with. It hangs off the top chassis frame rail with four (4) “J” bolts and cantilevers off of the frame. I did not drill any holes in the frame. I made it full bay width and 24” deep. The bottom of it is even with the bottom of the frame rail so the slide tray still works as normal. This is the one on the passenger side. I also did one on the drivers side to hold my telescoping ladder. Like some of you, I carry two (2) ladders … I use the one in the white fence post to clean the front windshield and other stuff not involving the roof and the telescoping one to get up there when needed. Here are some pictures. Incase you are wondering … the round things are my Disney signs.

FLSteve

PS … @Neal - I sure like the new site. Really easy to post pictures.

IMG_2860.jpg
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_2863.jpg
IMG_2864.jpg
IMG_2865.jpg
IMG_2866.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2868.jpg
IMG_2777.jpg

FLSteve

Wow! When I need some instruction in woodworking, I now know who to call. The only problem I see, Steve, is that they are so "purdy" that I might be afraid to put anything on them. Lovely work!

TJ

So what’s the going price for a pair of those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ARD
Nice shop, nice work! I have the same drill press and band saw as you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back