• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dmmyers56

RVF Regular
Please help!
We have a 2020 Thor Coleman 19cm class C. New house battery installed last week, battery drained completely in 2 days. Nothing on inside at all. Ran on-board generator for two hours yesterday. Battery read 2/3 full after shutting it off. Go out this am, house battery dead again nothing turns on, no lights, no furnace blower nothing. Start engine everything turns on, I drive for two hours to work, and after parking I check battery light…reads 1/3 full. Leave midday to go to lunch battery dead again. Battery disconnect is not on (I.e. not in storage mode). What could be issue? Converter or what? Thanks for your time.

When you shut the engine off what do you think is charging the battery? If it is not in storage mode it will discharge due to little things that never shut off. It must be plugged into shore power or driven some distance to charge it up. It will not stay charged unless when parked it is in storage mode.

FLA deep cycle battery? You tested/checked for the easy stuff first like bad cell(s), low water, dirty posts etc?

When you shut the engine off what do you think is charging the battery? If it is not in storage mode it will discharge due to little things that never shut off. It must be plugged into shore power or driven some distance to charge it up. It will not stay charged unless when parked it is in storage mode.
the only things drawing power is a carbon monoxide detector. Absolutely nothing else is on in the unit. There is nothing else drawing current when RV is off. Surely that wouldn’t take a battery from 2/3 full to empty in less than 24 hours. And why won’t battery charge fully after running generator for two hours or driving the rig for two hours?

It depends how many amp hours your battery is and how deeply discharged. Your gauge may not be accurate. Batteries can be bad when new, it happens. Disconnect the negative post and put a multimeter between the post and the ground connection and tell us what it reads. Something is on. Have someone pull fuses until the drain stops.

Even then there are some things that are not fused in the fuse box like the power steps if you have them.

I really am getting frustrated!!! I wish you were the only one that won't read anything about battery charging. Running a generator for 2 hours won't charge a battery enough to troubleshoot a system. Nor will a trip to your job site. You are simply destroying your new battery.

At this stage an overnight charge is needed to even start troubleshooting your system, and to potentially save your battery.

Something is on, or your converter/charger has a bad diode, but that diagnosis has a high probability of being bogus without a full charged battery. Are all the fuses removed so to eliminate a short in the system down stream of the fuse block?

My forester wold be down 50 % when left overnight. Used only lights and maybe fan for a few hours. If battery is run down it is not unusual to take a lot more than a few hours to fully charge

Even then there are some things that are not fused in the fuse box like the power steps if you have them.
Is that right??? OK but fused just the same right?

Latest resources

Back