• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Before we make a big mistake, buying advice needed

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@catrispoli2 Nice looking coach. As others have mentioned a review of maintenance and repair records if they are available would be good. The write up indicates new "Drive" tires. I take this to mean only the drive axel tires are new, leaving the age of the steer (front) tires and tag axel tires as unknown. I would suggest you determine the age of those so you know how close you might be to replacement. There are all kinds of opinions on when tires age out and need replacement. There are also some inspections that can be done however it may require removing the tire from the rim. A general and somewhat conservative rule of thumb is consider replacement at 5 years, some folks will go to 7 years. The write up also shows the refrigerator is a Norcold which was typical for coaches of this age. There have been issues with Norcold refrigerators and some folks replaced the refrigeration system in the existing refrigerator with a electric only system. Others have replaced the Norcolds with a residential refrigerator. Of course some folks have never had an issue and are happy with their Norcold. There is no mention of the age of the house or chassis batteries so those would be another item to check. Just my thought on potential changes / costs you might encounter. You may want to hire a RV inspector to check the coach over. When I sold my coach last fall the buyer hired an inspector. Two inspectors spent 8 hours going over my coach. I think the buyer paid about $800 for the inspection. I would also suggest you consider getting a sample of the engine oil, transmission fluid and engine coolant sent out to a lab for analysis. The lab report can help to identify any potential issues with those systems that could lead to some expensive repairs. Some inspectors may offer the fluids analysis as part of their service.

Hope this is some help.

Good luck in your search,

I was running out the door this morning when I last posted hence uncommonly my brief response. All of the above are good ideas. You may be looking at purchasing four tires and a bunch of batteries.

Also do a little research on fuel systems in this year range. Ive read a lot about lift pumps, and people modifying the fuel system (such as installing a FASS pump) to resolve the issue, but I don't recall which year/models. Something to ask the seller about since he seems mechanically inclined or at least has good resources.

On the fridge, a lot of folks call them “Nevercold” and my experience has been that they dont keep ice cream frozen, but it might work well and suit your purposes. And at 17 years old a replacement isn’t unreasonable. Also the flooring has been replaced and it looks good in the pics but merits a close inspection. Same thing with the door side seating.

I really like the 3 stage Jake and that its pre-DEF. Seems like a well kept coach worth a close look. As far as prices go this is a wierd market these days and hard to predict, but if you intend to keep it for at least a few years, and use it enough to get your moneys worth out of it, that wont really be an issue.

@catrispoli2 Nice looking coach. As others have mentioned a review of maintenance and repair records if they are available would be good. The write up indicates new "Drive" tires. I take this to mean only the drive axel tires are new, leaving the age of the steer (front) tires and tag axel tires as unknown. I would suggest you determine the age of those so you know how close you might be to replacement. There are all kinds of opinions on when tires age out and need replacement. There are also some inspections that can be done however it may require removing the tire from the rim. A general and somewhat conservative rule of thumb is consider replacement at 5 years, some folks will go to 7 years. The write up also shows the refrigerator is a Norcold which was typical for coaches of this age. There have been issues with Norcold refrigerators and some folks replaced the refrigeration system in the existing refrigerator with a electric only system. Others have replaced the Norcolds with a residential refrigerator. Of course some folks have never had an issue and are happy with their Norcold. There is no mention of the age of the house or chassis batteries so those would be another item to check. Just my thought on potential changes / costs you might encounter. You may want to hire a RV inspector to check the coach over. When I sold my coach last fall the buyer hired an inspector. Two inspectors spent 8 hours going over my coach. I think the buyer paid about $800 for the inspection. I would also suggest you consider getting a sample of the engine oil, transmission fluid and engine coolant sent out to a lab for analysis. The lab report can help to identify any potential issues with those systems that could lead to some expensive repairs. Some inspectors may offer the fluids analysis as part of their service.

Hope this is some help.

Good luck in your search,
Thank you for your time and direction. So appreciate it!!!

I was running out the door this morning when I last posted hence uncommonly my brief response. All of the above are good ideas. You may be looking at purchasing four tires and a bunch of batteries.

Also do a little research on fuel systems in this year range. Ive read a lot about lift pumps, and people modifying the fuel system (such as installing a FASS pump) to resolve the issue, but I don't recall which year/models. Something to ask the seller about since he seems mechanically inclined or at least has good resources.

On the fridge, a lot of folks call them “Nevercold” and my experience has been that they dont keep ice cream frozen, but it might work well and suit your purposes. And at 17 years old a replacement isn’t unreasonable. Also the flooring has been replaced and it looks good in the pics but merits a close inspection. Same thing with the door side seating.

I really like the 3 stage Jake and that its pre-DEF. Seems like a well kept coach worth a close look. As far as prices go this is a wierd market these days and hard to predict, but if you intend to keep it for at least a few years, and use it enough to get your moneys worth out of it, that wont really be an issue.
We are so grateful for your input. Everyone here is so kind and the advice is amazingly helpful!

Newbies here. Shopping for older DP and found a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4303 from a private owner. The asking is 110 and looking in Blue book (NADA) the avg retail is 76,250 with low retail 63,300. The comparative 2005 Dutch Star average retail is 95250 and low retail 79050, the new cost in 2005 for DS was 296008 while the 2005 new retail price for the MA was 336440. I'm hoping for some advice from you all on why this would be. We thought the MA was a more expensive rig in the Newmar hierarchy and in 2005 it cost more. Is there something we are missing? The rig is in great condition, well maintained with 68,000 miles. Thank you for your insights.
Thanks to everyone. We were outbid on that rig, however, everything happens for a reason. We purchased an immaculate 2006 Dutch Star 4026 and are picking her up Tuesday. I’ll be reading threads and posts on first of all garages. We will be Newmar part shopping and much more; looking to gain knowledge from all of you and share as I learn! Just wanted to let you know and thank you all again!

I agree and also expect to see re-sale values drop over the next year, if not the next few months, and Scooterfan makes a good point - the low NADA value on the MA is a good bargaining tool.
With inflation running 7+ % a year it really is a gamble either way, buy now or later.

Agree and on something like this, you kinda have to ignore the economy and just make a decision that meets your recreational goals. Its never been considered an investment anyway. If we were trying to be sensible, we wouldnt be shopping for an RV in the first place.

Latest resources

Back