Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins 400
TOW/TOAD
Motorcycle Trailer
Fulltimer
No
Newbies here. Shopping for older DP and found a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4303 from a private owner. The asking is 110 and looking in Blue book (NADA) the avg retail is 76,250 with low retail 63,300. The comparative 2005 Dutch Star average retail is 95250 and low retail 79050, the new cost in 2005 for DS was 296008 while the 2005 new retail price for the MA was 336440. I'm hoping for some advice from you all on why this would be. We thought the MA was a more expensive rig in the Newmar hierarchy and in 2005 it cost more. Is there something we are missing? The rig is in great condition, well maintained with 68,000 miles. Thank you for your insights.

Well one thing Id say is that NADA probably hasn't caught up with the huge post-covid price jump on used RVs, and by the time it does prices will probably be falling again.

And Ive never found NADA to be very reliable anyway. As to your question there were engine and chassis options that might be skewing the data, or it might just be that there is less used coach sales information on older coaches.

Here are brochures on both which may help establish values:

Thank you so much. That was insightful, and I am more concerned that the same rig in the Dutch Star is so much more. It’s so much money to risk when we are not savy or educated in this vehicle market that I was thinking of contacting the Newmar sales folks but unsure if this would be the right consultant to address.

You can always post links to prospective rigs and see what other members think. I always enjoy researching and examining older rigs and I often learn something in the process.

Another thing about older rigs is maintenance records. Higher milage and higher age make maintenance even more important and dealers rarely provide records.

Also many chasis/engine combinations had significant issues in various years and these are easily researched. Once identified you are equipped to determine if they have been addressed or ignored.

On the model hierarchy yes the MA is one notch above the DS and simce 2015 the MA has also benefitted from the ISX making an even greater distinction, although it is also around 4000 heavier.

Other distinctions include upgraded interiors and appliances, more standard items that are options on the DS and a little more effort on the exterior finish. But lookimg at 15+ year old rigs appliances are probably ready for replacement and exteriors will all need some attention, and many rigs will have been upgraded by now, so I’d ignore all that and look at condition, maintenance, and needed repairs. Tires alone will cost you $5000 or more so a rig with recent rubber is plus.

According to the 2005 brochures, the MA had a 400 hp vs DS 350 (ISM vs ISL?) and the 43’ MA had a tag - there were no 43’ DS models. So that may be worth the difference to you even if the “guides” don't reflect a difference in value. The quality of the interior of either will provide provide the same enjoyment level.

The DS higher reported resale values may also be a function of higher production numbers resulting in more sales from which to derive statistics. So for my money, unless you plan to sell ot soon, I‘d do a critical comparison of what you are getting for the price, and ignore NADA. A close look at RVT,com and RVTrader.com will probably provide more useful data.

In my humble opinion the market is entering an adjustment period. Just as during the onset of the COVID pandemic prices fell, then quickly rebounded and soared higher, I believe prices now will fall due to various pressures. Demand is waning (higher fuel charges, increased RV campsite fees, high inventory coming to market, higher interest rates, and well...uncertainty concerning our unstable government. Although Rich IS correct that NADA values are not always good indicators of current value(s), if I were you I would negotiate from there. Offer high NADA value and see where you go from there (if you like the coach). Good luck. JMHO Blessings

In my humble opinion the market is entering an adjustment period. Just as during the onset of the COVID pandemic prices fell, then quickly rebounded and soared higher, I believe prices now will fall due to various pressures. Demand is waning (higher fuel charges, increased RV campsite fees, high inventory coming to market, higher interest rates, and well...uncertainty concerning our unstable government. Although Rich IS correct that NADA values are not always good indicators of current value(s), if I were you I would negotiate from there. Offer high NADA value and see where you go from there (if you like the coach). Good luck. JMHO Blessings
I agree and also expect to see re-sale values drop over the next year, if not the next few months, and Scooterfan makes a good point - the low NADA value on the MA is a good bargaining tool.

You can always post links to prospective rigs and see what other members think. I always enjoy researching and examining older rigs and I often learn something in the process.

Another thing about older rigs is maintenance records. Higher milage and higher age make maintenance even more important and dealers rarely provide records.

Also many chasis/engine combinations had significant issues in various years and these are easily researched. Once identified you are equipped to determine if they have been addressed or ignored.

On the model hierarchy yes the MA is one notch above the DS and simce 2015 the MA has also benefitted from the ISX making an even greater distinction, although it is also around 4000 heavier.

Other distinctions include upgraded interiors and appliances, more standard items that are options on the DS and a little more effort on the exterior finish. But lookimg at 15+ year old rigs appliances are probably ready for replacement and exteriors will all need some attention, and many rigs will have been upgraded by now, so I’d ignore all that and look at condition, maintenance, and needed repairs. Tires alone will cost you $5000 or more so a rig with recent rubber is plus.

According to the 2005 brochures, the MA had a 400 hp vs DS 350 (ISM vs ISL?) and the 43’ MA had a tag - there were no 43’ DS models. So that may be worth the difference to you even if the “guides” don't reflect a difference in value. The quality of the interior of either will provide provide the same enjoyment level.

The DS higher reported resale values may also be a function of higher production numbers resulting in more sales from which to derive statistics. So for my money, unless you plan to sell ot soon, I‘d do a critical comparison of what you are getting for the price, and ignore NADA. A close look at RVT,com and RVTrader.com will probably provide more useful data.
I agree and also expect to see re-sale values drop over the next year, if not the next few months, and Scooterfan makes a good point - the low NADA value on the MA is a good bargaining tool.
Thank you both so much. Here is the link:
Let me know what you think. NaDA high is &76250.

Nice rig with lot of upgrades. Hopefully you can verify the maintenance history.

There are MANY listings in the over $100,000 range (Some as high as $200,000.00) for the comparable coach. BUT then there are some of these...

This is a tough time to buy. Not having a crystal ball concerning prices makes buying at a good price point nearly impossible. Why not start low and see where your comfort level is. JMHO

Latest resources

Back