• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Buying DEF from pump

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’ve been reluctant to even mention this, but that 15 month old Musket jug DEF I mentioned in another thread was worrying me enough that I didn’t want to use it in the coach, so I dumped it in my impervious (or so I thought) ‘17 F250 6.7 since its emission system seemed to be more or less bullet proof.

Well! Guess what? A day later it threw its first code ever, first MIL/CEL ever, and the code was…. P2201. Yes of or pertaining to NOX levels being over limits. And what does DEF do? Controls NOX levels. Now this could all be coincidence, and I know a lot of folks have said they’ve never seen or heard of any actual bad DEF, jug or otherwise, but when I dumped 5 gals of 15 mo old DEF in my truck, I suddenly had DEF related emissions issues.

I cleared the code with my handy DLHH and maybe it will all be ok. I don’t drive it much so time will tell. But for me it’s another example of why you need to buy recently produced DEF and check those date codes. I guess I should have broken out the ol’ refracto-meter and checked it but I really didn't think there’d be any issues. Maybe I’ll take a sample and see. So TIFWIW.

This is the other thread:

Last edited:
you guys keep costing me money!! I just ordered the components to assemble a def head simulator, looks pretty easy to build

wow, that was easy, less the $40.00 and 2 beers to complete

PARTS
parts.jpg

TOOLS

tools 2.jpg

(forgot to include my soldering pen in the picture)

FINISHED

complete.jpg

Don't let the programming scare you, you can copy and paste the file or as I did, just move it from the download to the control board per the instructions

Latest resources

Back