• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Black Tank Sensor

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@redbaron is that a go forward change into new production coaches being built?

@redbaron is that a go forward change into new production coaches being built?
Yes, 2021+ have pressure sensor for both sides---BUT the deal is the 2019 and prior have a 1.5" pipe for the gray, where the black is a 3".

The sensor requires a 3/8" hole to be drilled in the pipe. I think this is the reason why they do not approve it for the gray tank.

2020+ upgraded the drain pipes to 3" for the gray tank, and allows the sensor to be put on both.

I wonder how difficult the retrofit is. Could a buy a sensor and retrofit it myself onto grey. It defies logic that a sensor could only work on black but not grey.

@redbaron which 1.5” pipe are you referencing in grey? I’m thinking it’s the drain pipe leading to the gate valve from the tank? If so, that could easily be changed to a 3” pipe. I think @Neal did it when he installed his electric dump gates. Is that right @Neal

I wonder how difficult the retrofit is. Could a buy a sensor and retrofit it myself onto grey. It defies logic that a sensor could only work on black but not grey.

@redbaron which 1.5” pipe are you referencing in grey? I’m thinking it’s the drain pipe leading to the gate valve from the tank? If so, that could easily be changed to a 3” pipe. I think @Neal did it when he installed his electric dump gates. Is that right @Neal

The sensors are labeled per signal for the tank they apply to. There are 2 different black tank sensors (primary / alt), 2 different gray (primary / alt) and 1 fresh water sensor.

The 1.5" pipe is from the bottom of the gray tank to the Y that connects the 3" bayonet to sewer hose.

Yes, you can replace that entire pipe and then use a grey - primary sensor. The wires are the same wires connecting to the strip on the tank side. You just cut those wires, and attach to the new sensor.

I personally don't think it is worth the effort involved for the gray tank, but very much possible to do.

Last edited:
Yes, I changed my gray from 1.5 to 3 inches. I would imagine you could request Newmar to do this for you (safest) and add the sensor.

I’m sure it works detecting contents and empty. My concern is it knowing levels or when full. My hunch is it could detect 100% when only 40-50%. No way to know unless paired with a secondary system such as SeeLevel. Someone should reach out to the manufacturer and ask about use in a sewage scenario.
No that's what I'm saying. I don't how the gauge works. I understand how the sensor works, but it is very accurate as it moves to 5%, 10%, and so on. I am so happy that I can for the first time I can actually determine how long it takes me to fill the black tank.

Last edited:
Newmar is performing my sensor upgrade. They told me the upgrade/retrofit is ONLY approved for the black tank, and they do not offer a retrofit for the gray tank. The gray tank often shows issues, but is not near the problem with a false reading as the black tank is, so I am fine with this solution.
It is AWESOME!

Can I just say Hallelujah! Newmar is done with KIB. As many of you know, I, as many others, have had issues with my black tank sensors reading properly from year 1. I've had new sensors, water pump relocated, new board, software updates, tons of recalibrations to no avail. This past visit to Newmar has taken care of my problem. Newmar unplugged the KIB pad on the tank and installed a a sensor by the gate valve that works by pressure (gravity). The higher the water level, the more pressure you have. It is working so far. No red lights, no showing 100% full when empty. It's the little things! Oh and the floater is still in the tank, so IF you do get a full tank reading when you think it's not full, you can pull the famous yellow wire and if it is still red, you know you are full. ?
Guess I'm not up on the "Famous Yellow wire." Can you enlighten me?

Latest resources

Back