• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Black Tank Sensor

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
thank you for posting this cause we have the red light and can’t flush either toilets. Hopefully we can get this red light turned off so we can flush and then have your fix done. Thank you again
If you are connected to city water and you know your tank is empty, you can pull the fuse in the half bath for "monitor and water pump" and you will be able to flush. Good luck.

Cleaning the RV holder tank sensor will help you regain control of your exciting RVing adventure, freeing up foul-smelling tanks and ensuring the sensor is working properly. Open the RV toilet by pushing the flush lever and inserting the wand straight into the holder. Start cleaning the bottom of the tank, working your way up. Pay attention to the sidewalls of the tank. It helps if you move the wand in a circular motion to ensure a more thorough cleaning.
This will work on coaches with gravity toilets, however most Newmar coaches the toilets are not located over the black tank.

I probably should not join this discussion, as I have different sensors. However, I got the black tank working fine. The gray tank always reads 1/3 when empty. I have cleaned it with tons of Blur power, a cup of Dawn and drive several hundred miles three times. No change. I put 30 oz of Dawn and 5 gallons of water in this time and will use lots of water on the way to the service center and see what happens. Hopefully I won't suds over. :unsure:

The sensor is on the outside of the tank. The only thing I could think of on the inside of the tank at this point is hard water deposits. They have lined the tube going from the toilet into the black tank. Scraping that out is not easy. Suggestions welcome.

This will work on coaches with gravity toilets, however most Newmar coaches the toilets are not located over the black tank.

I probably should not join this discussion, as I have different sensors. However, I got the black tank working fine. The gray tank always reads 1/3 when empty. I have cleaned it with tons of Blur power, a cup of Dawn and drive several hundred miles three times. No change. I put 30 oz of Dawn and 5 gallons of water in this time and will use lots of water on the way to the service center and see what happens. Hopefully I won't suds over. :unsure:

The sensor is on the outside of the tank. The only thing I could think of on the inside of the tank at this point is hard water deposits. They have lined the tube going from the toilet into the black tank. Scraping that out is not easy. Suggestions welcome.
There is a mineral called Struvite that builds up on the inside of the tank. There is a company that makes a dissolving compound (mostly for sewer pipes) that is supposed to take care of it. It is pretty expensive so I opted to build a high pressure wand to feed up the dump valves. Seemed to make a big difference. Flakes of whitish stuff came out. I think there's even a guy that goes around and does this procedure for a business.

Learning how to clean RV holding tank sensors will help you regain control of your delightful RVing adventures, freeing you of foul-smelling tanks and ensuring well-functioning sensors.
On the third or fourth cleaning, each time with more dish detergent (Dawn) on this run, six hundred miles over four days with 30 ounces of dawn in the gray tank. We will see.

On the third or fourth cleaning, each time with more dish detergent (Dawn) on this run, six hundred miles over four days with 30 ounces of dawn in the gray tank. We will see.
I'm in the same state...it always shows 1/3. I should have bought P&G stock for all the Dawn I've used. I've tried Cascade Dishwasher Soap also.
\

Well, Newmar saysput 8 oz of AquaKem in a tank of clear water and leave it for seven days. Since I am in it most of the time, it took two tries. I put in the AquaMax and used the tank as normal for three days, then dumped. 2/3 cleared, but not 1/3. Tried again and left in for 6 1/2 days. Oh, and I drove 300 miles withit in the tank before dumping. The 98* day probably helped also.
Voila, it registered empty after dumping for the first time in months. The tech at Newmar said they have done studies and it seems to take four days to start working.

Last edited:
Well, Newmar saysput 8 oz of AquaKem in a tank of clear water and leave it for seven days. Since I am in it most of the time, it took two tries. I put in the AquaMax and used the tank as normal for three days, then dumped. 2/3 cleared, but not 1/3. Tried again and left in for 6 1/2 days. Voila, itregistered empty after dumping for the first time in months. Thetech atNewmar said they have done studies and it seems to take four days to start working.

Thanks, I ordered a 6 pack.

I'm curious how many that have been told and tried AquaKem have found it to resolve their problem? Typically it's a Newmar problem with KiB but @Texas Clodhopper you don't have that so let us know how it works for you. I recommend putting in a SeeLevel system if they still sell the Bluetooth version. Let me check...yep, it is. This is what I use:

I'm going to start with the cheaper attempt of course I've used enough Dawn, Cascade, Calgon, etc I feel like I could have spent the $300+ on the SeeLevel be money ahead.

I'll give the AquaMax a try and as a word of caution, AquaKem contains formaldehyde which is harmful to septic systems and that is what many rv parks have. AquaMax is formaldehyde is free.

Latest resources

Back