• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

WinU

RVF Newbee
Good morning,
So I have an issue maybe some of you have encountered. When I unplug from Shore power I am blowing Fuse F6 which by the labels is the Charging / Slide Out circuit. I do not have a slide out, which leaves Charging System.
I replaced the Converter as I thought it almost had to be that and there was a small blackened compnent on the back, so I thought I had it. Well, the new converter is doing the same thing. Blowing the Charging system fuse when switching from Shore to battery. No charging issues. Charges when plugged in. Charges on the TV. Runs great on dual battery setup. AND.... it doesn't blow it every time. Just like 7 or 8 out 10.
Sounds like a short somewhere right? That makes and then loses connection? I'm stumped. Any help?

2017 Jayco Jay Feather

WinU

May sound like a dumb question, but are you powering off the shore breaker before plugging/unplugging??

May sound like a dumb question, but are you powering off the shore breaker before plugging/unplugging??
No. I have several camping friends that just plug / unplug when using a generator / shore power. Is that a thing with some of them? I did try it by throwing the breakers and it didn't blow the fuse.... but I didn't think that would be necessary if everything was working right??

As a matter of safety, I always make sure the breaker is off on the power box before plugging or unplugging. There can be a lot of arcing when the plugs make contact otherwise. Your camper may have a transfer switch to manage the transfer of power from AC to DC (generator) but it is still a good habit to develop to be power off from source when you plug and unplug. Major loads should also be off, like AC, microwave, etc.

(A) Always turn the breaker on the power post to OFF before plugging in your cord. Then turn the breaker ON.

(B) Always turn the breaker on the power post to OFF before unplugging your cord. Then leave the breaker OFF>

Latest resources

Back