• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Building a Small RV Park - Year 2

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
There is a place by the pond where we have a couple of porch swings. (see picture below) It's a nice place to sit and relax and just unwind a bit. But at night, it's really dark, especially if there is no moon. So I've been looking for a small hydro-generator to generate enough power to run a couple of lights.

I found this on eBay and while we all have gotten pretty used to seeing Chinglish, this add was particularly interesting., if not downright ridiculous. (see second picture.)

Don't they have anyone over there that can proof this stuff?

DSCN5094.JPG

HydroGenerator.png

Signing paperwork tonight to bring dedicated fiber to the park. The cost is frightening, but the problems that it solves are beneficial enough to justify the expense. A few of the big ones are:
  • Smart phones will operate normally as if there was a cell tower in the park.
  • Video conferencing, streaming movies, etc., etc., will all be possible.
  • Not everyone has a satellite on their RV, but almost everyone has a TV. The upgraded bandwidth will insure nobody misses a football game ever again. And that's huge, right? :)
So yeah, we're about to become one of the few RV parks in the area to offer Internet service with these capabilities.
Jim! Now I can come during College football season!! Go Dawgs!!

Jim! Now I can come during College football season!! Go Dawgs!!
No, not unless something changes. Frontier sent a tech out and she quoted several hundred thousand dollars over what we had signed agreements for. Their agreement says that if after they do a site analysis, and if there is a change in pricing, that I can cancel the agreement, but there is nothing to hold them to doing the job at the agreed upon price. (See previous post.)

A few minutes ago, I called and spoke with the sales person and asked him how a mistake of this magnitude could happen. He said that his software hasn't been updated to reflect that the Core Network was already full. He also said that they are looking and adding more strands (?) to it so that it will accommodate my needs. And for that, they will of course have a price, but he said they will try to use a sharp pencil.

So again, I'm left in limbo, and maybe I will have Internet and maybe I won't. This company is not the posterchild for efficiency and operational competence.

@Jim I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be feeling. I'm thinking an even better deal is going to come your way. 🙏

@Jim I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be feeling. I'm thinking an even better deal is going to come your way. 🙏
Well you're right, of course. It won't be the first time something has gone completely wrong just to have something else come along that wouldn't have been possible if the first option had worked.

I've been talking with Balsam West over the last couple of months, and their bid was quite a bit higher than my original bid from Frontier, but still under $100K. And I was ready to pull the trigger with them when Frontier went south. But they can't get to it for at least 180 days, which is when the park closes for Winter. Ironic, yes? I'd have Internet in a park that is closed for the next 7 months.

But at least it's a plan B for next summer. And maybe something better will come along during that time.

No, not unless something changes. Frontier sent a tech out and she quoted several hundred thousand dollars over what we had signed agreements for. Their agreement says that if after they do a site analysis, and if there is a change in pricing, that I can cancel the agreement, but there is nothing to hold them to doing the job at the agreed upon price. (See previous post.)

A few minutes ago, I called and spoke with the sales person and asked him how a mistake of this magnitude could happen. He said that his software hasn't been updated to reflect that the Core Network was already full. He also said that they are looking and adding more strands (?) to it so that it will accommodate my needs. And for that, they will of course have a price, but he said they will try to use a sharp pencil.

So again, I'm left in limbo, and maybe I will have Internet and maybe I won't. This company is not the posterchild for efficiency and operational competence.
Frontier is the worst company of any companies I've ever dealt with.
They bought out GTE/Verizon landlines and internet here and everything went immediately to hell.
After a month of no internet and no phone I cancelled them and they kept sending me bills for months. I'd use 2 cans and a string before I ever considered them again.

Frontier is the worst company of any companies I've ever dealt with.
I can tell you from first hand experience, they're working hard to maintain that image.

Typical behavior for a utility company. They are the only game in town and they act like it. Good luck!

Got tired of fighting the Internet battle so I built an stone creek bed to stop the washing that we get every time it rains. Adds some front yard bling as well. :)

DSCN7986.JPG

DSCN7990.JPG

Latest resources

Back