Building a small RV park.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm in :)

Good luck with your venture! Please angle the sites so it's easier to back in or pull out.

Good luck with your venture! Please angle the sites so it's easier to back in or pull out.
Yes indeed. I believe we have done a very good job laying the sites out. We are focusing more on spacious lots and providing comforts that make an enjoyable stay, and less on the monitory benefits derived from tighter spaces and more pads per acre.

Each lot (or pad) is built around a focal point unique to that particular lot. For instance, one lot is designed with a giant Oak off to the side of the coach awning, providing a hanging swing and shade throughout the summer. And each lot has a small yard area, complete with private gazebo, for our guests to enjoy for the duration of the visit.

Trish and I are very excited to be working on this project and hope that this proof of concept will lead to our developing other RV parks built around the same theme.

Profit? lol, what's this "profit" that you speak of? :unsure:

I'm lucky as I already own the land, bought and paid for 10 years ago. Right now it's just something pretty that I drive through every day on the way up the mountain. Water is basically free as I have a wonderful spring up on the mountain. That water goes into a 2,000 gallon holding tank, and from there it gravity feeds down to the lower areas of the property. As backup, I drilled a 20 gallon a minute well last year. So yeah, lots of water. I own a sawmill and live on 50 acres of heavily wooded land, so a major part of the lumber is also greatly discounted.

The other things like septic, electric, trenching, pipe, wire, water line, etc., I will have to pay for, but I've got some Newmar cash put aside and I'll just have to hold off on that new motor home for a year or so. :) But at the end of the day, it's all paid for so turning a profit isn't a life and death issue like it would be if I were working on borrowed money.

Cell service is definitely the tough nut to crack, but I'm hoping I can work that out. The area that I'm in needs cell service desperately, and this has been demonstrated by the Covid 19 quarantine as well as recent injuries on the Appalachian Trail that went unaided due to lack of communication. A little political wrangling may bring the needed service into view.

During summer months, we plan to ask $40.00 a night with a 3-night minimum. During the winter months we will probably rent out to those looking to store their RV's until summer rolls around. But income is often derived from the money you save vs the money you bring in, and much of what I am doing will become a tax deduction where as before, it was just money spent.

I haven't worked on the advertising angle much but I really don't see that as an issue either. Our campground driveway is on the road to one of the major campgrounds in the area, a place called Standing Indian Campground. They are booked solid most of the year and thousands of RV'ers drive by my place every summer looking for a place to stay. My sign will be quite prominent as they drive by, and I'm sure I'll pick up quite a bit of business just from that alone.
Wow! Amazing set up! Price is perfect. There are places no where near what you are describing charging 40 a night. I will be anxiously awaiting the Grand Opening! You can count on me! I soooo want to see your spring!!!! And the sawmill! I have never seen either!

I think we have the site of the first regional rvforums.com encounter.

I think we have the site of the first regional rvforums.com encounter.
That would be cool, but with only 8 sites, probably not the best choice. :(

Yes indeed. I believe we have done a very good job laying the sites out. We are focusing more on spacious lots and providing comforts that make an enjoyable stay, and less on the monitory benefits derived from tighter spaces and more pads per acre.

Each lot (or pad) is built around a focal point unique to that particular lot. For instance, one lot is designed with a giant Oak off to the side of the coach awning, providing a hanging swing and shade throughout the summer. And each lot has a small yard area, complete with private gazebo, for our guests to enjoy for the duration of the visit.

Trish and I are very excited to be working on this project and hope that this proof of concept will lead to our developing other RV parks built around the same theme.

What is your potential completion date?
You are in for a lot of work!

What is your potential completion date?
You are in for a lot of work!
lol, yes it's a bit of work but not really as bad as it may seem. Anyhow, we will be open for business Spring of 2021. Just under a year from now. I don't figure it'll take that long to complete but lets face it, not a lot of people looking to go camping in the winter, right?

Latest resources

Back