• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Building a small RV park.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I have a few questions. It would be great if I could get an answer from a cross section of the members.
  1. You're staying at an RV park that has advertised serenity as a main attraction. You're burned out from work and you want some serious peace and quiet. Would you consider it a win if on Friday night somebody commandeered the pavilion and played some soft rock-n-roll music for a couple of hours? Or would you get irritated because it's noise that you hadn't planned on and there is literately no way to ignore it without going inside your coach?
  2. You've rented a spot, set up your BBQ and other homey things, and suddenly you find that there is a dog park a hundred feet away. It's not really visible but you know it's there because throughout the day, people keep walking their dogs by your site on the way to it. Is this a problem?
  3. The RV park you are staying in is quite remote and cell service is unavailable. So much so that there are no other automobile sounds, no sirens, no jets flying through the sky, nothing. Complete silence. Maybe a bird in the distance or a deer walking by your site. There is WiFi, but it's only available at the pavilion. You can walk over to the pavilion, sit back and check your emails, but once you leave the pavilion, the WiFi is nonexistent. Is this a serious problem for you? Or can you tear yourself away from your cell phone for a weekend?

Last edited:
my opinions:
1. Please, no music.
2. I would not want to be near a dog park.
3. No wifi at site not a problem if I have cell reception at site.

1. Lets say I like rap, I don't but just saying. The rock becomes a problem. Music is to personal to make public when you pay for quiet.
2. rather have the dog run than step in pooh.
3. Likely I would not check my mail than go to the pavilion. had to much time at Internet cafes while on the boat, not a fan.

my opinions:
1. Please, no music.
2. I would not want to be near a dog park.
3. No wifi at site not a problem if I have cell reception at site.
Thank you Randy. I edited the questionnaire to reflect that there is -0- cell service at the site. We're working hard to find a solution to this but Verizon donates more money to Gov Cooper's reelection campaign than I do.

...-0- cell service at the site...
An inconvenience, but not a deal-breaker with WiFi at the pavilion.

You're staying at an RV park that has advertised serenity as a main attraction. You're burned out from work and you want some serious peace and quiet. Would you consider it a win if on Friday night somebody commandeered the pavilion and played some soft rock-n-roll music for a couple of hours? Or would you get irritated because it's noise that you hadn't planned on and there is literately no way to ignore it without going inside your coach?

I wouldn't advertise something you can't provide so either don't advertise serenity or don't allow music. I stayed at a hotel at VA Beach on vacation, below my window, 10 or so stories down was an outdoor concert. I hated it! I want peace and quiet. Now if you advertised occasional bands, that may in turn attract people more than serenity.

You've rented a spot, set up your BBQ and other homey things, and suddenly you find that there is a dog park a hundred feet away. It's not really visible but you know it's there because throughout the day, people keep walking their dogs by your site on the way to it. Is this a problem?

Nope, dog parks are a plus. Fenced in areas for kids are welcome too :)

The RV park you are staying in is quite remote and cell service is unavailable. So much so that there are no other automobile sounds, no sirens, no jets flying through the sky, nothing. Complete silence. Maybe a bird in the distance or a deer walking by your site. There is WiFi, but it's only available at the pavilion. You can walk over to the pavilion, sit back and check your emails, but once you leave the pavilion, the WiFi is nonexistent. Is this a serious problem for you? Or can you tear yourself away from your cell phone for a weekend?

Connectivity is a safety situation especially with the RV community (okay, us old people!). If they can't call 9-1-1 then you have a problem. Invest in a good CG wifi setup that your wifi can be reached by every tenant. Speed is a different story, but wifi calling is not something I want to be without. In the days when I was less round I used to ski at Snowshoe WV. There is a radio observatory nearby which means it's a no cellular zone. They do a good job with WiFi at the ski resort throughout as a result.

1. Wouldn’t bother me as long as it stopped at a decent hour but I do think it conflicts with a park that bills itself as a peaceful, remote retreat.

2. Have dog. Dog Park is great, especially if there are some doggie tunnels ramps and such for them to do some doggie acrobatics on. Dog runs should preferably have a gated sally port so that the leash can be removed or placed back on by the owner in a smaller, easily controlled space. Don’t need it for my dog but I’ve seen lots of others where it would have saved them some hassle.

3. If you have WiFi at the pavilion and it is a business WiFi, you should be able to get some outdoor access points that can repeat that signal around the campground and create a mesh network. Lots of great providers out there for these solutions but they can be a little costly and technical to manage and maintain. I agree however that some form of consistent connectivity is important. Since you say there is no cell service, I’d encourage you to have someone come in a beef your WiFi up to cover all sites and provide good speeds. Include the cost in the nightly rate if you need to because it sounds like it will be the only form of connectivity available.

2. rather have the dog run than step in pooh.

Nope, dog parks are a plus. Fenced in areas for kids are welcome too :)

There was never a concern about having a dog park, it's a given. In fact, there are two of them. One on each side of the park to provide quick access in times of need, or when it's dark and you don't feel like taking a late night hike to get there. I just worry that the access to those areas might go right by someone else's RV site, and they might get tired of the people/pet traffic walking by all the time.

There was also the concern that a dog park might be to close to a site. Currently, the closest a dog park is to a visitor site, is approximately 50'. Someone who doesn't like dogs might think that is too close.

3. If you have WiFi at the pavilion and it is a business WiFi, you should be able to get some outdoor access points that can repeat that signal around the campground and create a mesh network. Lots of great providers out there for these solutions but they can be a little costly and technical to manage and maintain. I agree however that some form of consistent connectivity is important. Since you say there is no cell service, I’d encourage you to have someone come in a beef your WiFi up to cover all sites and provide good speeds. Include the cost in the nightly rate if you need to because it sounds like it will be the only form of connectivity available.
Yes, good points MapNerd, but everything is a trade-off. The options are 1) provide large sites to a minimal number of visitors (8 in this case) in a peaceful remote location that makes you want to return again and again. Or, 2) cram dozens of RV's into the same area and give everyone free WiFi and satellite TV, and be like every other RV park you passed on the way here.

At Deer Springs RV Park, we are limited to satellite Internet, complements of Viasat or HughesNet. Both have limiting data caps and reliability issues aside, neither have the bandwidth needed to provide the type(s) of service users have become accustomed to. Setting up an expensive WiFi system to broadcast that junk would be an expensive disappointment.

Unfortunately, today's satellite technology limits what we can realistically provide. Setting up a dish at the pavilion will give everyone enough bandwidth to check emails and perhaps make a VOIP call on your cell phone.

1. Wouldn’t mind the music at pavilion (actually would enjoy) but think it should be disclosed at booking.
2. We do not travel with pets but understand we are in the minority, so dog park not an issue.
3. No Cell or WiFi at site not an issue but some concern for emergency notification. We have purchased Garmin InReach for situations like this.

There may also be the option of installing a (free to use) hard-wired phone at the pavilion.

Latest resources

Back