• Commercial/Vendors welcome

California ban on gas engines <25hp

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Pardon me, can anyone tell me what groupthink means?

The ultimate goal: You. Peon. You live in tent, ride horse. Only govt can drive car, MH, fly plane, etc.
Hold on a minute.. flatulence occurs in horses like cows therefor, no horses. Walk so they can “tax your feet”

Now that we have all had our panic...let's examine what this law doesn't do;

1. It does not take away your existing small engine
2. It does not prevent use of these items even in the future
3. It does not affect sales in states other than California
4. It does not prevent repair of older units.
It's just a step @redbaron, just a step. . .

View attachment 9307

Wow--they really are stretching the truth there.

My lawn mower uses less than .25 gallons of gas in 1 hour. A car that drives 300 miles on < 0.25 gallons of gas does not exist--and frankly never will.

Even Electric cars use more fossil fuel to drive 300 miles than my lawn mower does in 1 hour----where do you think electricity comes from? Most of it is fossil fuels.

View attachment 9308

Unless California has built lots of power plants since 2018, I think the above graph is close enough to accurate. (source: 2018 Total System Electric Generation)

Update -- Found the 2020 Guide here: 2020 Total System Electric Generation
You can stretch/read statistics any way you wish and fit them into your agenda. It does not change the fact that mankind is having serious adverse effects on our planet.

As I have stated over and over on this forum, why can’t we use it as it is named “rvforums.com” and stick to enjoying rv related conversations.

As I have stated over and over on this forum, why can’t we use it as it is named “rvforums.com” and stick to enjoying rv related conversations.
This is about rving. Generators are used by most rvs.

weed eaters lawn mowers and blowers are used by rv parks.

Agendas hurting the lifestyle of the RV community are very relevant on this site.

I wonder when the Oasis and other hydronic heaters will come under attack.

Last edited:
It does not change the fact that mankind is having serious adverse effects on our planet.
You assume that to be fact. Science can be refuted like most science by other science. I believe this belief in man made climate change to be nothing more than politics. I believe politicians figured out people no longer follow kings and queens so they devised a scheme (environmentalism) to put themselves in power over us where we would surrender our will and keep them in power "for the children". I believe its obvious. You assume that over billions of years, man has changed anything in its short history? I believe that if you add up all the noxious fumes man has created in its entire existence, it wouldn't even equal the amount of noxious fumes that came from the Mt St Helens volcano eruption in 1980. I believe that judging millions of years of a climate with only several hundred years of records lends itself to junk science and is laughable. Your FACT is nothing more than an opinion... I do have the burden of conscious of my beliefs. If I did believe the opinion that I was in fact, the cause of all the worlds problems, I would have to stop myself from adding to it before I worry about everyone else's lifestyle and weed eater choices. now, back to RVing. I use 87 octane to save money

Now that we have all had our panic...let's examine what this law doesn't do;

1. It does not take away your existing small engine
2. It does not prevent use of these items even in the future
3. It does not affect sales in states other than California
4. It does not prevent repair of older units.

There really is no need for panic. Those that want gas engines <25hp will buy them in Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, or any of the other 47 lower states.

Smuggling engines in will be very simple.

Smuggling cherries from Oregon into California is not simple.
Since you can still simply drive somewhere else and purchase engines <25hp and since you can still use engines <25hp isn't the new law simply hurting California businesses and not really doing anything for quality of air they are breathing?

Are the Hot Shot crews switching out to battery operated equipment, like their chain saws? I suspect passing this type of law is simply a group of lawmakers trying to get some future votes.

California is much like the State I grew up in (Illinois). They are currently, and have been for decades, totally broke and continue to spend money they don't have. States like that should start worrying about how they are spending each year and maybe after getting their house in order start this type of grandstanding for different special interest groups, IMHO of course.

After reading the law again, and reading many of the responses to the law, I do not think this is about carb, but rather about headlines and attention. There is no enforcement provisions. It will hurt local business retail sales, but I do not see how the average RV will care.

The rvs most affected are the rental class c. Most of these are rented outside of the state of California and driven in. I doubt that anyone is going to suffer the heat and turn off the generator once they cross the border.

It's just noise.

Latest resources

Back