Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

grosucristi

RVF Newbee
I am trying to power a Laika Kreos 3004 with a 1.2kW hyundai generator (with inverter). The generator is brand new. I checked the terminals with a multimeter and it shows 230V so its fine. The problem is that the panel (stock) above the back door of the camper does not show a 220V connection thus there is no 220V electricity distributed through the camper. However, if I connect the camper to a 220V source which does come from the generator but from a house or a camping ground, the panel displays the 220V label and everything works fine. At first I thought the problem is that the generator is not connected to ground. It has a special terminal to connect it to ground so I did just that. I took a wire and a screwdriver and connected them together then I put the screwdriver into the soil. Still, no results. I tried connecting to a more proper ground connection so I found a big metal piece stuck into the ground and hooked the ground wire to it. Still, no results.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?
Does the problem come from the fact that the panel needs grounding or is it something else?

Thank you!

I had the same problem on my 4000 but it's only 30 amp. It definitely was a ground problem on the 30 amp. Using a male 20 amp make up plug jump the ground to common on a 20 amp and plug it in. Test all circuits for power.

European power? No common? Or 220 split two 115v legs?

Kevin,
Is the trailer on jacks or is it still hooked to the truck? If it is still hooked to the tow vehicle, going to the soil for ground is not completing the circuit. Your line should go to the frame.

Okay, I read the post again and I am backing up. First,, Kevin you are not having the problem. Now, is the cord from the generator a four wire cord? Is it hard wired in? If not you should be able to check voltage at the plug first. Side to top spade should register 120v for either side spade. Side to side should register 220v.

Okay, I read the post again and I am backing up. First,, Kevin you are not having the problem. Now, is the cord from the generator a four wire cord? Is it hard wired in? If not you should be able to check voltage at the plug first. Side to top spade should register 120v for either side spade. Side to side should register 220v.
Should be noted that the RV is popular in the UK so is it 220, or is it setup for our power grid? Is the generator setup for power across the pond? If not do they need a travel transformer to make a conversion. If we get more than of this information, we may be able to answer the question better.

So I have to repeat myself. There is electricity for sure. And no, it is not hard wired to the generator. I checked both the voltage at the generator and at the end of the cord. It shows 234V. According to what sanda said at the beginning, this is a grounding problem for sure. I will do a couple more tries and keep you up to date

I'm hung up on your initial post! Are you in north America? If so, why did you buy a 220 VAC generator?

To help those that are not world travelers on this forum get the point I am bringing up. I present a link!
But before I do, a portable generator made for the rest of the world, is not the same as ours is made!

The reason I focused on this point is a small 1.2 k generator will typically not produce power with a common. The MH is popular in the UK so we may be looking at equipment that is not compatible!!!

The link!

Note it can work with a 110 to 220 travel converter transformer (the least costly way)

Have you checked the output at the trailer end of the cord when on the generator? You may have to ground directly to the frame of the trailer for common ground point.

Latest resources

Back